7 Acne Tips | Teen Ink

7 Acne Tips

August 20, 2011
By Al56912 BRONZE, DOUGLASVILLE, Georgia
Al56912 BRONZE, DOUGLASVILLE, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

8/10 teens experience acne. So many teens find it embarrassing and unattractive. So here are some tips on how to get rid of it.

1. Daily Face Routine- You need to stick to a daily face routine. It is best to wash you face twice a day, in the morning and at night. Maybe once a day if you have very dry skin, but other than that, stick to twice a day for fast results. Rinse you face with warm water before washing your face so it open your pores, and then after you wash you face use cold water to close them, so nothing can clog them. You may be too tired or lazy to wash you face one night so you think skipping a night is okay, and that you can go back to your routine in the morning. But that’s not the case; pimples can grow overnight so it’s really important to stick to it. It may get tiring and boring, but just think how good you skin will look when it gone.

2. Drinking Water- This important. Although you should already be drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day, but if you are not, drinking water can clear acne. It basically flushes out all the toxins, and hydrates your skin while getting rid of all the access oils. Now if you don’t necessarily want to drink all that water, your acne might take a bit longer to get rid of, but I recommend drinking water. Also don’t think you have to drink a load of water, because you get a bit of water from food. So drinking 8 glasses a day is great. The most important thing is do not think that soda is part of your water intake. While you are trying to get rid of acne DO NOT DRINK SODA. It is proven that soda can cause acne. So you don’t have to completely stop drinking soda, but just try to drink it sparingly. And before you drink soda, ask yourself this question, “Will this soda really get rid of my acne/pimples?” So if you stick to drinking water instead of soda, you will start to see a difference in as little as a couple of days.

3. Acne Products- I have tried a bunch acne product out there, and have only found a couple that actually work for me. So it is good to find a product that works best for you. Don’t feel like there is nothing that works for you, because there is at least something. Remember: Good doesn’t always mean expensive. Cheap store brand products sometimes surprisingly work the same or even better than over the counter and ordered products like Proactiv and Epidou. Since I have sensitive skin (which is basically sensitive skin that’s dry), it is important that I don’t dry out my skin, because it’s already dried out. I found that the best thing that works for me is the Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash (the orange liquid which I got from Wal-Mart for like $6.) I use that twice a day, with a moisturizer called Equate Naturally Beaming Daily Moisturizer (can also get it at Wal-Mart for ). It is compared to the Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer. I have tried both, and think they both work the same, but I prefer the Equate because it’s cheaper. Also got a haul a couple of days ago from Walgreen’s because they were having a sale. The two things I got are the Queen Helene Mint Julep Masque and the Neutrogena on the Spot Acne Treatment. The Masque is something you leave on for 15 minutes and wash off with warm water. It’s says that it helps dry up acne pimples, rinse away blackheads, and shrink enlarged pores. In my experience it actually does. When you first put it on it starts drying immediately and you can tell it’s working, it is just that good. After you take it off (make sure its dry) you immediately notice that your pimples are smaller. The second and last thing I got was the Acne Treatment by Neutrogena. I was kind of hesitant about buying this because it’s kind of pricey for a .75 oz tube, but I just decided to splurge and try it anyway. Let me tell you it is worth the $7 I bought it for. I thought I was going to run out of it, but a little goes a long way. You can feel it working and you will see the difference in the morning. So I would definitely recommend these 2 products. So don’t be afraid to try different products you’ve never used, because you just might like them.

4. Don’t touch your face- Touching your face is a big no no. You may think your hands are clean, but they have bacteria and oils on them. Which are most likely to clog your pores and causes of course pimples. So keep your hands clean and away from your face.

5. Do not pop your pimples- Some people say it helps it go down, but all it really does leave scarring and clog you pores. The best way is to let them go down by their selves. But if you really have to pop one, use sterilized utensils or wash your hands and pop it, and make sure you get everything out especially the white part. Once it is popped, dab it and I usually put a bit of tea tree oil on it.

6. Eating Habits- The way you eat is essential to getting rid of acne. People think acne products is enough, but really studies show that the way some people eat is the cause of acne. So avoid all the sugary foods and beverages, and the junk food. And try to stick to the food pyramid with veggies and fruits and you will be on your way to having clear skin.

7. Be patient- Many people don’t know how to, even I couldn’t. Don’t think that you can get rid of your acne in 1 day. That’s basically impossible. It may take a week or two to start working, but that’s okay because it’s better late than never. So just be patient and your skin will be clear in no time.