Anorexic Grasp | Teen Ink

Anorexic Grasp

Many of us have struggled endlessly with our weight and our battle to be thin. But when exactly does it become so consuming that it overtakes us? When does the urge to skip a meal become anorexia? It starts perhaps with the decision to go on a diet and not stop until you reach X amount of pounds, or maybe with the realization that you were just 15 pounds above where you used to be. No matter where you start, or how long it lasted the good part is that you overcame anorexia. You got over the urge and you started eating again. But no one can change the fact that it happened and no one can change the fact that you even wanted to give in. But its not entirely your fault.

Society says that unless you're under 130 lbs and have flat abs your not pretty and you won't fit in. We all know that's a bunch of crap but we want to fit in anyway...So we think we'll go on a diet, "just for now...to shed the extra pounds I don't need." Its ok to want to fit in, I did the same thing and thought I wouldn't fall into the same trap. But if society wants you skinny, they will get you skinny. But it doesn't have to be like that. One trick I found that really helps in the battle against anorexia is I will eat healthy all week every day. Except for one day a week. That day I will allow myself more junk food than I would normally allow than on any other day. That way you can still loose weight, eat healthy, and give yourself those extra treats every once in a while so you don't get discouraged. Its also a reward system. The better you are during the week, the more you may want to allow yourself. Try it. If you are recovering from anorexia, or are battling anorexia's grip, this is one of the most effective tools to fight it.

One thing to remember above all else though: when your battling anorexia the mirror always lies!! If you see the number and say you are skinny enough and you look in the mirror and see otherwise, the mirror always lies!! Visualization is the minds worst enemy and best friend. Keep that in mind next time you want to skip the next lunch or dinner. See yourself the way you want to be and you'll never be satisfied. But see the way you are and you'll accept yourself for who you're meant to be.

I hope this is encouraging to all of you out there who read this and I hope you know there is always a way out for those who seek it. Please feel free to comment and have a nice day

Lilly100 BRONZE, White Plains, New York
I think that it's important to note that often what seperates anorexics from dieters is the genetic link which leads them to feel unsatisfied with their weight loss. Most people lose weight and feel some form of acheivment and satisfaction when they reach their goal. One of the primary reasons people become anorexic is if they fail to feel this satisfaction, and instead believe that they need to lose more weight.