Why Be Lonely | Teen Ink

Why Be Lonely

By baybay12345 BRONZE, Thousand Oaks, California
baybay12345 BRONZE, Thousand Oaks, California

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant."
~Robert Louis Stevenson

“Loneliness is a state of feeling cut off from and longing for others, due to lack of contact with people” (www.best-quotes-poems.com). A little bit of loneliness can be found in all people, especially teens. It can be caused by lack of fitting in, trouble at home, and most commonly, break ups.

First, every teen worries about fitting in. They try to buy new clothes and cooler styles. They become something they’re not so they can obtain popularity or recognition from their peers; however, some of this recognition and attention is negative. Teens are bullied everyday for the clothing they wear, the choices they make; or plain old not fitting in with the rest of their peers. This causes them to feel lonely.

Furthermore, trouble in the home is a huge cause of loneliness. Whether a teen realizes it or not, parents are your best friend. They take you where you need to go, help you with school assignments, take you to see your friends, feed you, and comfort you went you’re feeling down. You can tell them anything and even though you may get in trouble, they will love you anyway. When parents fight, it gets pretty scary at times, anything can happen. If a divorce is filed and parents are split up, a teen may be forced to choose between them. If the wrong parent is chosen or if teens miss the other parent, they can feel lonely and like they’re alone in the world.

Finally, the most common cause of loneliness can be caused by break ups. When dating someone, some teens tend to grow more and more attached to the person they are with. When they break up, things get very emotional very fast. Especially with teenage girls, emotions run wild and crazy. Picture a teenage girl in your mind. She just broke up with her boyfriend who she thought was the one she was going to spend the rest of her life with. She feels like she is the last person on earth. She feels alone and like there is no end to the pain she is feeling. She tries to find a way out by turning to drugs, getting drunk, and having sex; but no matter what she does, the hole that was dug deeply in her heart refuses to fill. She invites her best friend over and she cheers her up by talking to her. The girl finds out other things her ex has done, and calls him to talk about it the next day. She wants to forgive him, but the love she had for him died. She decides to just be friends with him and move on but she still feels empty inside.

In conclusion, a little bit of loneliness can be found in all people, especially teens. It can be caused by lack of fitting in, trouble at home, and most commonly, break ups. Finally, what all teens should remember, no matter where they are in the world, they have no need to feel lonely because there is always someone out there who cares.