Why Can’t I Look Like You?: Female Body Image Disturbances

The average woman in the U.S is 5’4” weighing 140 pounds. In contrast, the average U.S model is 5’11” and weighs 117 pounds. This massive gap between the reality of women’s figures and the image they strive for might be the reason why four out of every five women claim to be dissatisfied with their appearance. (Weiner). “Body Image” is a frequently discussed term these days. For most people, body image evokes ideas of eating disorders and obesity, however, body image disturbances affect far more people than those suffering from those diseases. Bulimia, anorexia and obesity, although easily identifiable, are not the only concerns that we should have. In fact, body image disturbances are increasingly becoming a widespread problem that can be heard to recognize. Many people might be the victim of a body-image disturbance without even realizing it. This ignorance might result from childhood when most children begin to undergo ‘media brainwash.’ In society today, the media controls almost all aspects of life. With this enormous influence and power, advertisements, commercials, magazines, billboards, television series and more have reconfigured our minds to recognize a certain look, style, and body type as “beautiful.” With its immense ability to manipulate, the media has inevitably transformed the way we perceive body image and has consequently lowered self-esteem worldwide. In other words, the media has altered our perception of beauty.