New Image | Teen Ink

New Image

May 5, 2011
By Anonymous

If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? For most people they would automatically think physically. Girls would want to be thinner or prettier – like the acne-free, long legged Barbie doll they grew up carrying around like a good luck charm. It may be cliché, but Hannah Montana has a point: “nobody’s perfect”.

Ladies are surrounded constantly with magazines, commercials, and make-up counters that financially need us to believe that we are not good enough without their latest product. But we are beautiful creations. How many people would travel back in time to tell Michelangelo that he messed up his painting, “the Creation of Adam,” on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? In the same way, we are a work of art and do not need someone to tell us that we are to look a certain way. If we were intended to look like that, God would have created us differently. I’m going to guess that it would have been easier on God’s part to just make us all exactly same – like robot clones. That would get boring fast. Who is society to tell us that we are to look a certain way? In fact, “80% of women say that the images of women on television and in movies, fashion magazines, and advertising make them feel insecure.” But what most of the women in America don’t know is “the average American model is 5'11" tall and weighs 117 pounds”. The average American woman is 5 foot 4 and 140 pounds. So, “Most fashion models are thinner than 98% of American women.” That being said, it is clear why so many women feel so insecure about how they look. Of course it is going to be impossible to look that skinny when height to weight proportions are so unhealthfully distorted. A model should be an example, a representative of a healthy woman who ladies can look to for inspiration, not insecurity.

Don’t let what the world says compose who you are. There is so much more to a human being than the superficial, terminal exterior. What if we all took away the make up, hair products, and media… what then? Would we take a step back and look at ourselves internally? Our spirit, our personality, and our character would be exercised and brought into focus. People for centuries lived without magazines with pictures, commercials, and make up. I am not saying these things are bad, just as long as we remember they are only gnats on our windshield trying to impair our vision. We were made by the hand of the Creator of the universe; He took the care and time to make each of us unique. So rock your you!