Relay for Life | Teen Ink

Relay for Life

By Jessica McClain BRONZE, Elmwood Park, Illinois
Jessica McClain BRONZE, Elmwood Park, Illinois

It was a year ago in February that my boyfriend Filip and I met. However it wasn't at the mall, or a party. No. We were brought together because of something bigger than that; bigger than any of us. It is a cause that has effected and will continue to effect more people that all of the kindergartners in the world could count on their fingers and toes. We were joined in the fight against Cancer. It started with an idea to do a performance at the schools pep rally to get people excited and informed. I coordinated the dancers and Filip got the band in order. Through many rehearsals, long hours, sore muscles, and a broken instrument we bonded. The performance went well and we were asked to do an encore at the actual relay. More rehearsals, an injured ankle, some tweaks to the choreography, and that performance was another success. However it wasn't until we walked hand in hand during the remembrance lap that I truly realized how much of an influence Relay for Life had on me. When you walk through your daily lives you would never guess how many people you pass who suffer pain, loss, and heartache because of something they cannot control. Patients walk to and from hospitals to receive treatments that may or may not work. Family members and friends walk to visit those who they care so deeply about and are so afraid of losing. Doctors and researchers walk into their labs every day hoping to find a cure for all of these people. Now we are asking you to help us walk for each and every one of these people. Give us the opportunity to walk for those who suffered yesterday, those who suffer as you read this, and those who unfortunately will have to suffer tomorrow. We are asking you for your support so that our love can stand a fighting chance on this battlefield.

Join Our Fight Against Cancer!