Do Children Watch Too Much TV? | Teen Ink

Do Children Watch Too Much TV?

By Reedmayne BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reedmayne BRONZE, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

In America according to a national statistic, 99% of people own at least one television. Children start watching TV at a young age. Parents try to coerce their children to play outside but would rather stay glued to their television sets. The parent’s attempts to get their children to watch less TV are fruitless. The average amount of time TV’s are on a day is 6 hours and 47 minutes. Watching this much TV can cause help problems like obesity. TV can inundate children with violent shows and adult content. False television commercials show ads that negatively influence children with garbled messages about society. TV can be educational and comprehensive, like shows on the History Channel.
I was zealous about reading these interesting statistics. After I read them, I was shocked by the high percent of people that watch too much TV. These statistics were very poignant, but they aren’t 100 percent accurate. For example, the percentage of Americans who can name The Three Stooges is not 59% because only 2 out of 24 people knew all three.
Television causes people to be phlegmatic because they would rather watch TV. People should watch less TV and spend more time with their families. One way to do this is by turning off the TV at dinner and talk about their day.