The Warped Picture of Perfection | Teen Ink

The Warped Picture of Perfection

November 23, 2010
By heatherh BRONZE, Stockbridge, Georgia
heatherh BRONZE, Stockbridge, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The lines at the local grocery store are filled with them; the television is clicked on and the image appears; a trip to the movies and the screen is slathered with them. Gaunt, skeletal women are portrayed as beautiful and wanted; the "picture of perfection" so many girls strive for. The media shows skinny is beautiful and being beautiful means acceptance. Acceptance from peers and home are usually all they want and some would do anything to achieve it.

Statistics show between 1970-1990 women's magazines had a 10.5 increase on weight loss and dangerously thin models than men's magazines. Also, hospitalization of teenage girls due to anorexia has increased eighty percent in the past fifty years. These statistics and so many others cannot just be coincidences. Glamour, riches, fame and popularity shine from the sickly women and light into the minds of young girls as idols. A sick goal is placed in young girls mind to look like the models so they can achieve the things the media reeks out. When in reality, under all the glitz, glam and fashion, the women are on the verge of death. Young girls are bombarded at a very young age to think skinny is beautiful just by playing with ever popular dolls, such as Barbie and Bratz. The constant push continues from that point on in just about everything girls see.

The thinness models achieve rarely occurs naturally. Due to this fact, models have unhealthy eating habits that more often than not, turn into eating disorders. Eating disorders beginning in the 1990's became so common-placed; websites were made for pro-anorexia and pro-bulimia calling them "not a disease but a life style choice". The number of girls with deathly eating problems continues to increase as models and Hollywood stars continue to grow thinner and thinner. Some researchers argue that anorexia is not caused by the media, but chemical imbalances in the womb. However, the United states has the highest rate of eating disorders and the most media action. Anorexia is not unheard of in countries with little to no media, but is much less prevalent.

The media pushes thin; emaciated women are gorgeous, strong and happy. women constantly feel the pressure to make their body look like what magazines, television shows, and movies tell them they need to look like to be accepted, glamorous, wanted, and happy. Society continues to condone what is happening while the media covers up the dirty truth of what really goes on with the women behind the scenes.