Reply to "drugs, sex, alcohol: What fun?" | Teen Ink

Reply to "drugs, sex, alcohol: What fun?"

While I understand how people might assume drugs, sex, and alcohol will ruin a teen's life, I must take another stance on this. I'm 16, I've never done drugs, I've been drunk a few times, and I'm not a virgin. But I am highly respected in every area of my life. I feel like I live a well balanced life. Alcohol and sex do not harm my 5.0, or my reputation as the class president at school. I don't feel like I'm reliant on alcohol, nor sex to ease stress or anything relating to that. I have two jobs, I have a good relationship with my mother- I know I can tell her anything- I hold a 5.0, I'm very well-liked and respected. I'm not saying this to gloat, I'm just suggesting that just because someone wants to have a drink, or go out and have sex with their boyfriend does not meant they're a total screw up. I know I take risks in life, and I'm fine with that. I'm a teenager, I want to screw up now while I have my mom to help me. I want to make mistakes before I'm alone in college, or out in the real world. I want life experience before I have to experience life.

I know I don't need alcohol to have fun, but alcohol IS fun most times. It can lead to bad judgment, which is why it should be consumed in moderation. I will agree that drugs are almost always a bad idea. I would personally never do drugs.

However, I completely disagree with the statement that sex is always a bad idea. I know all the parents out there are gaping with their mouths wide-open. Yes, I'm likely to be the valedictorian for the class of 2012. Yes, I drink. Yes, I have sex. I think that teen sexuality can be a good thing WHEN TEENS ARE BEING SMART ABOUT IT. This does not apply to those who only use sex as a social platform, or to those who are overly promiscuous.

I think it's important for teens to feel good about themselves and their bodies. I don't believe there is anything to be ashamed of in the subject of sex. Sexuality defines a person. It is one of the most personal parts of a person's life, and I believe embracing one's sexuality is beautiful. Honestly. I do.

This was inspired by an article titled "Drugs, Sex, Alcohol: What Fun?". I felt argumentative, and so here I am. I don't mind discussing this further if anyone would like to. I have submitted this anonymously to protect myself and other parties involved, not out of cowardice. Thank you.

missTaco BRONZE, Kingston, Massachusetts

Enjoy Today, because you could die tomorrow

ok, no one cares

SGIkid BRONZE said...
on Nov. 2 2010 at 3:32 am
SGIkid BRONZE, Salinas, California

"Be a man of Right, Never one of Might. Be a leader of the people, Never the tool of authority. Be the friend of the masses, Never the slave of wealth. Be a wise man of good, Never a cunning evil one." -Daisaku Ikeda

she probably wouldn't be the class president if everyone hated her. Food for thought, taco.

Llbid BRONZE said...
Llbid BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

I say violence is necessary. It is as American as cherry pie.
-Hubert Geroid Brown

she sounds like one defined smart chic

on Oct. 23 2010 at 6:38 am

you sound like that girl that everyone hates