Charles Darwin and Drinking | Teen Ink

Charles Darwin and Drinking

By doubletterb SILVER, Granville, Ohio
doubletterb SILVER, Granville, Ohio

if you can accheive nothing more acheive satisfaction for yourself.

The drinking age should be lowered for many purposes. One however comes to mind at the forefront. Charles Darwin came up with his theory of evolution stating that the weak and stupid will die out and eliminate themselves from the gene pool. However by setting the drinking age at 21 we are prohibiting nature from taking its course and killing the people stupid enough to drink and perform a stupid act thus killing them.

If however America was to lower the drinking age then for a short time the stupid people would be killing themselves. After that the people who are left are the smart people who drank in moderation or didn’t consume any alcohol at all. Is this just a pessimistic view on human nature? Maybe but the statement still stands that we are not allowing nature to take its course by killing off the weak and stupid instead they are consuming an ever diminishing supply of resources that would otherwise have benefited someone who may have needed the resource.

on Oct. 21 2010 at 9:58 am
ThatBoredKid BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

"The sweetest melody is the one we haven't heard," U2, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

Haha, I think this is really well thought out. But you also have to think, people that drink could also get others killed in the process that didn't do anything wrong.