Abstinence: An Abstract Concept?

Allow me to begin by saying that while I have a very definite opinion on this matter, I do respect the views of others and am willing to listen to those views.

We have all heard about, “abstinence until marriage,” but is there substance in this heavily solicited practice? The government is largely pro teaching our nation’s student population that the only acceptable course of action is to abstain from sex until marriage. This is highly ironic for many of the government officials who back this plan of action have been found guilty of sex outside of marriage. This extends to both officials who are married and those who are single. Not only is a repercussion of this that our government looks bad, but also those children who are sitting on the fence about this serious issue may be swayed into having sex before they are ready because the “role models” are not living up to their words.

Not only is the government not behind their laws, but the celebrities do not back their plans. A prime and very recent example of this is the famous golfer Tiger Woods. Anyone that has pretended to pay attention to pro-golf in the last decade has heard of Tiger. Many people revered Tiger as the best in golf, but now the general population has discovered that he had many affairs with women with whom he was not in a relationship. If neither the government nor celebrities can back this plan of abstinence only, then the student population is not going to pay much attention to it.

Instead of just having an abstinence only program, we must have a plan that incorporates not only that, but also a safe sex plan. In the state of North Carolina, a teacher may not discuss condoms or any safe-sex practices in class or they could potentially be fired or brought up with charges. Many schools are given bonuses to only discuss abstinence in Sex Education classes when clearly there is no support for this practice. If our government were truly concerned and had the best interests of our youth in their hearts, they would support a program that goes not only with their beliefs, but also our natural human desires and instincts.
Many people have heard this famous quote by William Alexander which states, “Knowledge is power.” Give our youth the power to combat our natural instincts for to fight such a thing, one must contain a wealth of knowledge. Why deny them even a fraction when the tiniest portion could be monumental?

RedvinesWTHCantTheyDo said...
I completely agree. I mean I have my own opinions on the matter obviously. But I agree, who is going to listen when all the figures we look up to are tdoing the exact opposite and then bragging about it. I mean let's put it aside that they even do it, but to go out and publicly talk about when you now people who look up to you are watching your every move and you're telling them that this is okay. Are they just stupid, I mean really. If you're going to have s.ex, be my guest but keep it in the b... (more »)

writerscramp01 said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 11:42 am:

Very good, Kal!

-Kal- replied...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 3:39 pm :

Thanks!!!

Hey, just so you guys know, NC has modified their laws to where teachers can teach both a.bstinence AND pr.otection! :)

A.Dreamer said...
I completely agree with this. The government and Hollywood are so hypocritical with what they say and do, but they expect the people that admire them to listen to them. And I definitely think you should send this to someone in government. :) Great job stating your point of view!

-Kal- replied...
Sept. 19, 2010 at 8:03 pm :
Thanks!!!! :)            

-Kal- said...
I've thought about sending it to someone in government and pushing for reform. What do you guys think?

Supernova7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 10:12 pm :
I say go for it if there's one thing I've learned in debate it's that you need to make the right people here you cuz if you just mumble to your friends in the corner nothing will change. You're a good writer Kal people on here respect you and the government will too in time make them listen

-Kal- replied...
Sept. 17, 2010 at 10:13 pm :
Thank you!!!! :)

J. Rae replied...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 4:09 pm :

I think that you should send this! But first, let an adult who has experience in writing persuasive essays read it and revise it.

You can't make hollywood or the government change it's actions just because they're being bad romodels. Your last two paragraphs would make an extremely good point though if you turned them into a new essay! Good luck!

-Kal- replied...
Sept. 20, 2010 at 7:20 pm :
Thanks so much! I would argue that you can't really change the government at all, but I am still insane enough to try :)

Supernova7This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I agree. You stated your opinion very clearly and you had evidence to back it up. Good job:)

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great sentence structure, and wording. Overall a great article! I also love how you give clear opinions and reasons for them. Great job! Keep writing! 5/5!

-Kal- said...
Thank you both so much!!!! :)

NihilTico said...
Your best bet is your congressman or senator, good luck!