Ugh....Fat | Teen Ink

Ugh....Fat

By doverdrama SILVER, Dover, Delaware
doverdrama SILVER, Dover, Delaware

Well i have to say something about the increasing rate of obesity in the Unites States. As a person who is debatably overweight, I know firsthand the downside of having some meat on your bones. You can't always find clothes in your size, or they fit you differently than how they would on someone with less....meat. For example, i recently went into Hollister, which is a new store at my city mall, and was shocked to see that the XL was pretty much a medium as compared to other store sizes. I still tried to squeeze into a cute shirt, and nearly started crying in the dressing room. Every curve was pronounced, and stuck out. I took off the shirt before I became even more upset, but that experience is still annoying to me. It was, frankly, all too familiar for me. I hate how I can't wear the same clothes, or get the same guys as other skinnier girls. It sucks, and it needs to stop. NOW.

Bad attitudes about overweight teens need to end. Period.

on Sep. 9 2010 at 6:55 pm
Caramel_Apple SILVER, Yardley, Pennsylvania
Sometimes people are too thin, and curves are actually proving to be pleasing to men. Plus, if you're not obese then you're healthy, and that's where you should be. As we are the new generation that will be running the world, we must take action and encourage our fellow friends to indulge. Fat is friend, not food. Well, it is food, and it's delicious! Everything in moderation!

on Sep. 7 2010 at 4:22 pm
Ivy.and.Rose BRONZE, Brandon, Florida

"Sometimes, amazing things can happen when you least expect it."

I know.  I hate how judgmental people can be.  I'm one of those annoying girls who claims to have "too much fat", and yet still indulges in chocolate every day X).  

It really sucks that I'm a teen and millions of other girls are still so perfectly skinny, like they could fit into everything.  I figure it's mostly because of their metabolisms, or just being very active growing up. Somehow they can have flat stomachs and great legs effortlessly that I would have to really work to have.  

I really hate how the media and people automatically think you must look a certain way to be beautiful.  What's nice to remember though, is that some people(not as common as most humans, but they still exist) don't draw conclusions and opinions of someone based on their natural appearances, but rather, they're individuality, which is (in my opinion) a more interesting form of beauty.  

Above all, remember that you're not alone; many girls feel the same way, and always hold your head high.  Some guys find confident, outgoing girls with decent looks more attractive than a gorgeous girl with an awful personality and character.  Again, not all of them are like that, but they still exist ;)  

And before I forget, don't spend all your time worrying about what other people will think of you, but rather, focus on making good choices that will mount up your character.  Get involved with something you love, whether it be an art, sports, community service...  

And for finding cute clothes, don't underestimate the awesomeness of thrift stores! xD  I honestly get a lot of my clothes from them, and you can find lots of cute stuff.  There might be a teen thrift store, "Plato's Closet" near where you live.  If so, go check it out.  They have great selections and lots of sizes.

Anyway, sorry this is so long.  Believe in yourself, focus on your good qualities, and strive to improve them.  If you do that, you should eventually become an amazing person to others, regardless of your weight or whatever else you think they're judging :)