Teen Girls and the Media

The other day my sister bought a magazine she was in love with and set down to read about all of the latest news in her tween world. As she was flipping through, I glanced over and noticed an article with the headline "How to make Taylor Lautner yours!"Upon further reading, I saw it was three glossy pages of Taylors interests, were he likes to eat, and ways to get him on a date.

I didn’t even bother reading any further because I knew what a waste of time it was, but it did get me thinking. This magazine probably sells millions of copies every month to young teen girls just like my sister, filling their heads with crazy notions of the possibility of dating a star, but also telling them how they need to look and dress. This is the most upsetting part, the fact that magazines all over the world are sending messages to teen girls that they need to dress a certain way and have a certain personality in order to have the perfect man, and a perfect life.

Magazines aren’t the only bad guys in the picture; our entire media system has been thrown off by the idea that targeting teen girls will sell more products. It is this theory that has really fed the fire as far as advertising. Now, every time you turn on the television, commercials are selling products that will “make guys crazy for you” if you buy it and use it. Pretty soon girls start to believe that they need to be like the models they see on TV, or they won’t be good enough for anyone anymore. So they go out and buy that razor or make-up and put more money into the company’s pocket, which causes them to target teenage girls more and more.

Another problem is the fashion choices presented to twelve and thirteen girls. They see a thin girl with short shorts, a low cut top and a man on her shoulder. This tells them that in order to have a guy and be happy like that girl, they to need to show as much skin as possible and have the perfect body. These unobtainable goals can cause very low self esteem, which can lead into eating disorders and depression later in there teen years.

It saddens me to think of all the teenage girls in our world who think they need to deny who they really is in order to be what they have been told are the “perfect girl”. We as a nation need to start making changes in our media, so that teen girls everywhere can begin to love the person they really are. No girl should ever be saddened when she looks in the mirror, or tricked by the assumption that there is such a thing as the perfect girl, and the perfect life. If we all ban together, one day we will have a nation with fewer eating disorders and depression, and that is a beautiful thing.

LoEssie said...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 11:57 am:
Okay, with all do respect, the problem is more the girls than the magazines. Let's get real here:the magazines are out to make money, so they take surveys on what girls want and put it into the magazines. Girl right now love Taylor Lautner, with good reason, and to tell you the truth, those magazines bend the truth to make him look like the perfect guy. Yes, he may be easy on the eyes, but I garuntee  (excuse the spelling) that he won't go for a girl that fits all of those criteria(s). Ever... (more »)

Kayle23 replied...
Aug. 1, 2010 at 10:44 am :
What are you even talking about??? Did you read this article? She wasent blaming the mags she was just trying to say that we need to teach girls (and guys) to be themselfs!!!

LoEssie replied...
Aug. 1, 2010 at 3:31 pm :
Actually, I was talking about the article. It centered on how the media was affecting girls in the world and how because of these influences they want to be the "perfect girl". . . that's DIRECTLY from the text. I'm not wrong, and I'm not against the author (she actually has a pretty good writing style-passionate). She made a good point, I made mine. Respect that. Authors critique eachother for the better, not to flame. I'm just pointing out another point.

MariahBoBiah This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 10:08 pm :
Thank you very much for you inout LoEssie!!! I always need everones opinion. Just wondering, did you give my article 1 star twice?

LoEssie replied...
Aug. 2, 2010 at 11:17 pm :
Honestly, I can't remember. . . a lot went on that day. . . I'll rate it now just to make sure (I may have given it one star once, though)

pecosmeme said...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 1:35 pm:
I am really impressed by your insight and think that you do your generation a lot of good by adding your voice.

Jul. 18, 2010 at 4:29 pm :
Thank You!

Christy said...
Jul. 15, 2010 at 8:17 pm:
I am very proud that you have the strength and insight to write this!  Love you so much!

Jul. 18, 2010 at 4:30 pm :
Thank you so much!

Valerie said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:25 pm:
I gave it five stars... wonderfull job! Its sooo true too!

Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm :
Thank you:)

Rae-Rae said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:24 pm:
We DO need to make a change!

Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm :
Thank you! thats what I was trying to get others to see when I wrote this!!!

Kayla said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:21 pm:
You write very well and present your arguments in an informative and skillful way. Great job!

Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:30 pm :
Wow thanks!!

Kenzie202 said...
Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:19 pm:
This is so true!!! You are a really amazing writer!!!

Jul. 14, 2010 at 9:31 pm :
Thank you! im glad you liked it:)