Stem Cell Research | Teen Ink

Stem Cell Research

April 20, 2010
By Krisanky SILVER, Warrenton, Missouri
Krisanky SILVER, Warrenton, Missouri
5 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If music be the food of love, play on"


“Over 100 million Americans suffer from diseases that eventually may be treated more effectively or even cured with embryonic stem cell therapy” (Deborah White). Although this statement is true, the government just started funding stem cell research at the beginning of Barack Obama’s term. Some people may disagree with President Obama’s lifting of the federal funding ban on embryonic stem cell research, but now that financial support can be provided more causes can be helped and more lives can be saved. Stem cell research, embryonic and non-embryonic, is a very helpful and effective way to find cures for life-threatening diseases. For example, scientists think embryonic stem cells hold potential cures for multiple sclerosis, diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, heart disease, and much more.
Pro-life supporters don’t agree with stem cell research because they think it supports abortion, but the truth is not all stem cell research involves killing an embryo. In fact, “In August 2005, Harvard University scientists announced a break-through discovery that fuses ‘blank’ embryonic stem cells with adult skin cells, rather than with fertilized embryos, to create all-purpose stem cells viable to treat diseases and disabilities” (Deborah White). This discovery means that fertilized embryos don’t have to be used for embryonic stem cell research and therapy.
Even if people won’t support embryonic stem cell research doesn’t mean that they can support non-embryonic stem cell research. Most may often overlook adult stem cells and umbilical stem cells because they are thought to be “not useful”, but non-embryonic stem cells are proving to be more useful than previously thought. One example is of a South Korean woman who had been wheel-chair bound since 1985m after being treated with umbilical cord stem cell therapy she was able to walk with the aid of braces. Another example is “A man recently ate his first meal in nine years after British doctors used stem cells from his bone marrow to create a new jawbone after he had lost his own to cancer” (Nutrition Health Review, Fall 2004).
As you may notice both of these examples took place in other countries. The reason for this is that the United States is far behind in medical science, especially stem cell research, because we haven’t had any funding or support. If you support, fund, or even donate stem cells to stem cell research it can benefit or possible cure over 70 life-threatening diseases.


The author's comments:
I wrote this piece for class when we had a huge argument about stem cell research.