Under Pressure

By , Venetia, PA
It was just so tempting. I coughed. That was the only downside… my asthma. One time wouldn’t hurt…would it?
A flashback to health class: “So, every time you smoke a cigarette you lose about 11 minutes of your life, mmkay?”

I furrowed my brow. Eleven measly minutes! Like something life changing could happen in eleven minutes. Then again, it only takes a few seconds to tell someone that you love ‘em for the last time… What if those few seconds are part of the eleven minutes I could miss out on? But, what could one little puff really do? I mean it’s not like I was going to like it and take another. I was over analyzing this and I knew it. I reached out and to take one of the pristine white cylinders protruding from the box in Colin’s hand. I realized my hands were shaking as I grasped the cigarette between my thumb and forefinger. Taylor nodded at me encouragingly. I forced a smile. Taylor lit her own and inhaled.

“Sweet baby Jesus,” She said soothingly. Like she had been waiting all day for the smoke to enter her lungs. I looked over at Colin. He was already half done his. I fiddled with my own in my hand.
Another flashback: “Never even tried one,” My mom had told me proudly. “The losers who did all half yellow teeth or lung cancer now. Their poor children…”

What if I have kids one day…? What would I tell them?

Well, there was this one time I wanted the cool kids to like me so…

How would that blow over? Not well. But what if I decided to smoke again? What if, I got addicted and became a chain smoker during my children’s lives? What if I don’t get to see them go off to college? What if, I don’t get to see my own daughter get married? I was over thinking it, again.

“Light me up,” I said solemnly. Colin clicked the lighter and held it to my cigarette. He blew his own smoke in my face jokingly. I coughed. And coughed. And coughed. They laughed at me.

“You know what? I’m good.” I said, bordering on angrily. Adrenaline coursed through my veins. What was I doing?

“Whoa, chill Lia, it was just a joke,” Taylor remarked, a spiral of smoke coming from her mouth. I wrinkled my nose and shook my head and began to walk away.

“Wow, you’re cool!” Colin yelled after me. I smirked, and yelled my reply over my shoulder.

“Hey, at least I’ll meet my grandkids someday!”

AprilBlue said...
You so owned them, what losers... UGH.

Allie97 replied...
haha 'you so owned them' nice :) great article

AprilBlue replied...
May 23, 2010 at 8:35 am
Ikr? Jkjk :) Great article, though :)

lawizard said...

Well written essay by a deep thinking teenager.  Heavy topic dealt with insight and intelligence.

Bravo!