Under Pressure | Teen Ink

Under Pressure

April 17, 2010
By Anonymous

It was just so tempting. I coughed. That was the only downside… my asthma. One time wouldn’t hurt…would it?
A flashback to health class: “So, every time you smoke a cigarette you lose about 11 minutes of your life, mmkay?”

I furrowed my brow. Eleven measly minutes! Like something life changing could happen in eleven minutes. Then again, it only takes a few seconds to tell someone that you love ‘em for the last time… What if those few seconds are part of the eleven minutes I could miss out on? But, what could one little puff really do? I mean it’s not like I was going to like it and take another. I was over analyzing this and I knew it. I reached out and to take one of the pristine white cylinders protruding from the box in Colin’s hand. I realized my hands were shaking as I grasped the cigarette between my thumb and forefinger. Taylor nodded at me encouragingly. I forced a smile. Taylor lit her own and inhaled.

“Sweet baby Jesus,” She said soothingly. Like she had been waiting all day for the smoke to enter her lungs. I looked over at Colin. He was already half done his. I fiddled with my own in my hand.
Another flashback: “Never even tried one,” My mom had told me proudly. “The losers who did all half yellow teeth or lung cancer now. Their poor children…”

What if I have kids one day…? What would I tell them?


Well, there was this one time I wanted the cool kids to like me so…

How would that blow over? Not well. But what if I decided to smoke again? What if, I got addicted and became a chain smoker during my children’s lives? What if I don’t get to see them go off to college? What if, I don’t get to see my own daughter get married? I was over thinking it, again.

“Light me up,” I said solemnly. Colin clicked the lighter and held it to my cigarette. He blew his own smoke in my face jokingly. I coughed. And coughed. And coughed. They laughed at me.

“You know what? I’m good.” I said, bordering on angrily. Adrenaline coursed through my veins. What was I doing?

“Whoa, chill Lia, it was just a joke,” Taylor remarked, a spiral of smoke coming from her mouth. I wrinkled my nose and shook my head and began to walk away.

“Wow, you’re cool!” Colin yelled after me. I smirked, and yelled my reply over my shoulder.

“Hey, at least I’ll meet my grandkids someday!”


The author's comments:
completely fictional.