My Scars (or A Meaningless Rant) | Teen Ink

My Scars (or A Meaningless Rant)

My scars are more than emotional scars. I have about 20, perhaps more, of them. Oh, you can’t see them. They are not displayed beautifully across my wrist like the average cutter. I don’t wish for death or attention, or anything of the sort. I just want pain, so I cut myself on my legs, mainly my right one.

The scars they leave are wonderful – long and pink. “Pink ribbon scars,” like in the Smashing Pumpkin’s song. Because of the appearance of my wounds, I love that lyric. It is my favorite. But that is not what this is about.

I am on medication for anxiety. It apparently encourages suicidal thoughts, so I’m guessing that that is where this pain comes from. But I didn’t start really feeling this hopeless until three years into taking the medication, so maybe I am just ‘crazy.’

Sigh.

My head and my heart say different things about my ‘issue.’ My brain yells at me for being so selfish and so stupid. My heart doesn’t give a care. My heart just wants me to grab the blade and dig it into my blade over and over again. I guess it’s like an addiction. At one point of my binging cycle of self harm, I practically drove myself even more insane looking for something to cut with. I never found it and I didn’t cut again until last night.

Ah, last night. I just had this urge to slash. I added eight more scars to my count. I didn’t particularly have a reason; I was just angry and sad. When I get angry, I don’t get angry at other people, I just get angry at myself. I hear my friends complaining about other people being jerks, but I only hate myself, not others.

I’ve almost killed myself a few times and the thoughts of suicide have definitely been there, but I’ve always been stopped. Music saved me the first time, theatre the second, a good friend the third, and hope the fourth.

You see, hope is a wonderfully fabulous thing. I stay up at night, writing and wondering why I haven’t just offed myself yet, but then I remember the wonderful thing called hope and all the things I have to live for.

Anyway, I guess I got a bit off track, but somewhere deep inside of this meaningless rant is something bigger and deeper than just another angsty teen. Somewhere in there is hope to pass on to others and strength to remind others of why.

I might have some spelling or grammar errors in there, but it is the truth, stripped to the bone.

on Sep. 24 2013 at 2:42 pm
DevilDancer SILVER, St. Charles, Michigan

"I rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who i'm not..."

I am a cutter and you wrote that so well i thought it was me your taking about. I cut my stomic the most... But then my friend found out. She cuts to and we are trying to stop, but its to hard. She gets mad when i cut so we both end up cutting more. Randomly she will lift my shirt up in school in the hall way and see if im hurt. Though now she is looking at my arms now to. I cut from 7th grade till now i was clean for a month but when you lose us friends to drugs and alchole in 10th grade you still cut. I actually cut myself today in wood working with a nail i found. It was at 8 am. I did it because my biggest fears are coming true. Im getting left behind by the ones i love the most. They cant handle this school but how am i suppose to handle this damn school with out them. Good writing. :T

on Feb. 27 2013 at 12:36 am
catdog496 BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

"Everyone has two lives. The second begins the day you realize you only have one." -Tom Hiddleston
"I'd like to live in a world where normal is an insult." -Misha Collins

I have nearly 100 scars on my legs, stomach, and arms.  I've been clean for 9 days after relapsing from nearly 8 months of not cutting.  The way you describe the emotions is incredible.  Reading this, I can relate to every single word.  Music and theatre have saved me so many times, as well as my friends.  Anyway, wonderfully written.

on Aug. 8 2011 at 7:02 pm
secrets_of_silence GOLD, Gisborne, Other

life had i loved the more
had it but passed away
as quietly as the day
ebbs from the darkening star.

-emanuel litvinoff

hope is what has always saved me and its blissful

on Aug. 8 2010 at 7:34 pm
-MidnightAngel- GOLD, A Field Of Paper Flowers, California

"I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?"

I have over 70 scars on my arms and legs...I think more like 80. I mostly cut on my right leg too, but I would do it where ever it was convenint. I cut becuse I couln'd stand my emotional pain and stress. I've been "clean" for almost a year after haveing been a heavy SI for two years.

This was vary well written. I couldn't have done it any better:) godd job!

on Apr. 26 2010 at 9:10 pm
VioletsandVoice, Spiritwood, North Dakota
life is hard but youve got to hang on and youve got to keep fighting and in a way thats exactly what life is all about

a cutter said...
on Apr. 25 2010 at 10:31 pm
I couldn't of put this in better words my self for 6 months i didn't cut because I had a great friend next to me and one day I cutted because i was anger but I wont give up hope that I will stop and never have a sucidal thought in my head

on Apr. 22 2010 at 8:11 am
Thinker PLATINUM, Na, Connecticut

A wise word does not make the speaker wise.

Please ask your counselor about reading the book "Crash into me" by Albert Borris, next concider this, because this is what I was told before every surgery I got, "scars are a token of war..." We must remember that war is not glorious or even honorable, but it does remind us of our struggles.

on Apr. 21 2010 at 7:34 pm
lookingforfreedom SILVER, Edmonton, Other

Cutting is a horrible thing and definitely a thing that people struggle with. I myself have been on both ends of the spectrum. I was a cutter.....I still am and I have friends that were. It hurts noth way. But you can stop. Stay strong. Have Hope!

good luck

on Apr. 19 2010 at 6:05 pm
allisonl97 BRONZE, =), Wisconsin

I dont really have a fav quote

oh my gosh!! this comment is perfect!! cutting doesnt hurt just you, it hurts the ones around you. my friend cut herself and it scares me. every time she doesnt show up to school i think that something terrible happened. please think of what you are putting your friends through...and your family...they all love you and want you to stay with them, and by cutting its almost like cutting a rope...eventually its going to cut in half....rethink....

on Apr. 18 2010 at 12:14 pm
IsobelFree DIAMOND, Hamilton, Other

"As long as there is open road, the familiar has the most formidable competitor." - Anonymous

You are so strong. Hang in there, and try not to hurt yourself. It may seem like cutting is fixing things, but believe me, it isn't fixing a thing - you are only harming yourself, your own beautiful body that God gave you. You only get one life, one body, and don't destroy it. Life is beautiful, just remember that. Thank you for this. I wish you the best. <3