sexual abuse | Teen Ink

sexual abuse

February 1, 2010
By tequayla BRONZE, Colmbus, Ohio
tequayla BRONZE, Colmbus, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

How do kids cope with sexual abuse problems? How do they deal with sexual abuse? How would you deal with it?


Kids that are victims of sexual abuse have low self-esteem. They may have sex habits that are not healthy and many times they will get pregnant at a young age. Some symptoms of being sexually abused at a young age are sleep problems, suicide, and increased sex drive. There are at least 80,000 kids sexually abused each year, according to the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.

In the Freedom Writers Diary a teen writes “He was touching me in places I didn’t know could make me feel so DIRTY.” This is similar to what I went through. I was sexually abused when I was 7 years old. Since then, it has happened to me more than once.

The song “Run Away Love” is about sexual abuse and how to deal with pregnancy at a young age. One of the lines in the song is, “Sneak into her room while her mamas knocked out trying to have his way and little Lisa says ouch.”



There are many effects of sexual abuse and many people think that it’s their fault. One thing to remember it is never your fault. If you think it is, say over and over again “This is not my fault.”