Death Penalty - For | Teen Ink

Death Penalty - For

February 19, 2010
By JDawgCat BRONZE, San Diego, California
JDawgCat BRONZE, San Diego, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.
-Michael Jordan


To start this off by saying that the ‘death penalty is right’ and suck would be super boring. Therefore, I am going to make this essay hair-raisingly, overwhelmingly, and…spine-tinglingly? Is that even a word? Well, I’m going to make this awesome. To begin with, what do you think? Are you for or against Capital Punishment? I personally approve of it, and let me explain to you why.

Just hearing the word ‘death’ in ‘death penalty’ is enough to make you think “This is bad.” Statistics say that 3-18 murders can be prevented by killing a killer. Professor Sunstein and Adrian Vermeule are 2 professors from Harvard. In their Stanford Law Review article, wrote that the Death Penalty “is in fact a deterrent”, regardless of its minimal research. They based this off the research of Robert Weisburg, a law professor at Stanford. They continue on saying that “Capital Punishment may save lives. Those who object to capital punishment, and who do so in the name of protecting life, must come to terms with the possibility that the failure to inflict capital punishment will fail to protect life(NY Times.)” That basically means that if you oppose it in the name of protecting life, then YOU epic-failed. The Death Penalty is one of our greatest weapons to slow down or stop violence and crime.




By now, you might have agreed with me (probably not…). So let me tell you about some facts that might pull you to my side. Fact number 1: Killers can kill ANYWHERE. So if you give them life without parole, they can choke a prisoner or a guard to death. And then, after going to court, where would he go? Back to jail? It’s just one big circle of DEATH. Secondly, the Death Penalty does deter murder rates. I mean, there’s nothing people are scared of more than dying. My support for it is that murders fear it more than the life sentence. Murders want the life sentence so that they can probably kill again. But if you stop them right then and there, those innocent lives won’t be harmed. (ProCon) Thirdly, this is toward you ‘opposers’, is that it’s really hard to abolish. Sure, you may ‘protest’ and you may ‘petition’, but the Supreme Court has approved it nonetheless. I mean, can you even recall how many times this happened? Where someone tries to stop it but fails miserably because the Supreme Court still approved it? No. I don’t think so. (ProCon) My last fact, this is also VERY true, is that the people who oppose the Death Penalty don’t even know who they’re trying to save. For all they know, if they stopped the Death Penalty, those ‘innocent lives’ they ‘saved’ might break through their windows and kill them.
Ultimately, the Death Penalty helps more than it hurts. I support it all the way. I personally think that protecting hundreds of innocent lives is worth sacrificing a few unknown strangers you don’t even know. If your opinion stays the same by the time you’re reading this, I just want you to know that when the Death penalty is abolished and a killer who changed from
‘death row’ to ‘on parole’ murdered someone you know or care about, I tried to stop that from happening.
Works Cited

Liptak, Adam. "Does Death Penalty Save Lives? A New Debate." The New York Times - Breaking News, World News & Multimedia. Web. <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/18/us/18deter.html>.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts. "Top 10 Pros and Cons - Should the death penalty be allowed." Death Penalty - ProCon.org. Web. <http://deathpenalty.procon.org/viewresource.asp?resourceID=002000>.

Van Den Haag, Ernest. "Top 10 Pros and Cons - Should the death penalty be allowed." Death Penalty - ProCon.org. Web. <http://deathpenalty.procon.org/viewresource.asp?resourceID=002000>.


The author's comments:
This is mah school essay.