Addiction | Teen Ink

Addiction

“Where am I?” “What did I do?” “Where are my friends?” This person is probably in the ambulance. People that do drugs or drink heavily can pass out and wake up in some random place and don’t know how they got there. They also probably have a bottle of beer in their hands or some marijuana. That is addiction. Millions of people are addicts to different things like alcohol, drugs and other things. They get drunk or high and lose control, and poof, next thing they know they are laying in the middle of the road or in an ambulance. Addiction can majorly affect your health. Addiction is the uncontrollable use of a mind- altering substance or behavior that harms your physical, mental and spiritual health. Health is balancing our physical, mental and spiritual health using the four daily requirements: food, rest, exercise and elimination.

Physical health is any biological function related to the 12 body systems. That means eating healthy, exercising, resting and eliminating. Addiction can affect your physical health by affecting the 12 body systems. Addiction to drugs (mainly alcohol) can lead to Cirrhosis of the Liver-which is when the liver dries up and can’t function properly. I learned this when we talked about Mickey Mantle who was an addict and he had Cirrhosis and he died from it. Addiction can affect your physical health by possibly giving you alcohol poisoning (only if you are addicted to alcohol and if you drink a lot of it). You might get really drunk and get alcohol poisoning and almost die. Oh believe me it’s possible, it has happened before. It has happened quite a few times actually to be precise. I learned this from the Binge drinking video. Addiction can also affect your mental health.

Mental health is your ability to reason. That means being able to calculate, evaluate, compare, and contrast. Addiction can affect your mental health by impairing you of your ability to reason. I learned this in one of our lessons. Doing drugs can affect your brain and make it happy by sending lots of dopamine- a neurotransmitter that sends pleasure. It makes the person very happy and only wants to use more of the drug that he/she is doing. I learned this in the Binge Drinking video. People will lose control and will not be able to have their brain function properly. Some people will pass out and their brain will stop and so will their bodies organs. The brain would tell the other body organs to not work as hard and eventually they will shut down. I also learned this from the BD video. Also, addiction can seriously harm your self- confidence and spiritual health.

Spiritual health is how you feel about yourself and the world around you using the greater values of man- kind. If you are doing a drug, alcohol for example, you would feel happy from all of the dopamine and you would feel great besides being loopy and drunk. That’s only at the beginning. Then you would feel depressed and sad. When you pass out and wake up you would feel sick and depressed, you would maybe vomit and you would feel amazingly terrible. You would just feel horrible and sickly. I learned this from the Binge drinking video and the other video we watched. As life moves on you would slowly move from abstinence on the addiction scale to addict. Then you would drop like a waterfall. You would be in the denial stage and you would be like-“It’s okay everyone does it.” Then you would start doing drugs all the time. Your life would revolve around drugs. Your self-confidence would go way down. Then you might get really drunk and get alcohol poisoning and almost die. You would feel really depressed, hung-over, and terrible. Then you might go to rehab and start to move back towards abstinence and you would feel better about yourself. But then you start doing drugs and go back down and etc. This happens a lot to a lot of people. I learned this from the waterfall effect we did in class.

Addiction can seriously affect your health. Addiction is the uncontrollable use of a mind-altering substance or behavior that affects your spiritual, mental and physical health. Health is balancing our physical, mental and spiritual health using the four daily requirements: food, rest, exercise and elimination. Don’t become an addict of drugs. It’s bad for you.

I hope this will teach people to not get addicted to alcohol or drugs. I wrote this for a school essay.

Bly417 said...
on Oct. 28 2010 at 11:45 am
Bly417, Plaquemine, Louisiana
This is a good essay to be read at school assemblies. It could help everybody who is an addict. The paper could help them to seek help or stop the addiction. I think you have made a great point in this issue. I believe that this could change someone's life in a major way. You should speak out to your peers and tell them about addiction.