No Body Is Perfect This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I walked down the aisles looking for a pattern in my favorite clothing store. Just my luck, they had the cutest shorts – but only in sizes 0, 1, 3, 7, and 9. I wear a 13. Annoyed and devastated I walked out thinking, I’m just too fat.

The next week, at my grandmother’s house for the traditional spaghetti dinner, my cousin and his girlfriend, Ivy, joined us. We had a delicious dinner. Afterward, the women sat around talking about dieting and their weight and whatnot. My aunt complimented Ivy on how skinny she looked for weighing 120 pounds. My aunt said that she needed to go on a diet because she weighed almost 140 pounds. This comment kind of hurt me because I weigh almost 160 pounds. So I said, “I probably need to go on a diet too,” but I said this softly so, hopefully, they wouldn’t hear me.

Ivy, however, was sitting right next to me and heard what I said. She took me into the other room with her, and we sat on the bed. “When I was in my senior year of high school, I weighed 140 pounds,” she said. “I felt so insecure. I couldn’t imagine any guys would want to be with me because of how fat I was. I tried eating less, dieting, exercise, but nothing seemed to work. That was when I realized that no body is perfect. No anorexically skinny girl will ever be skinny enough for society to say that her body is ‘perfect,’ because then she would be considered ‘unhealthy.’”

I thought a lot about this for the next few days and realized that no one had ever called me fat, except when my mom was joking with me. So why was I so caught up with how much I weighed? Why was I so consumed by a number that does nothing but mock you? This number labels and classifies you and tells you “You can’t fit into those jeans because you’re 160 pounds. You can’t go out with him because you’re 160 pounds. No one will want to hang out with you because you’re 160 pounds” over and over.

I decided that I wasn’t going to let my weight rule my life. I wasn’t going to let it decide what I should and should not wear. At that point I realized that I, too, believe that no body is perfect, that no girl can be skinny enough, and that all those people who tell you the “anorexic look” is in are probably so uncomfortable with their own weight that they have to make other people self-conscious just to make themselves feel better.

So, anytime I start to feel self-conscious about my weight, I think to myself, Anorexia? I think not.

QuestionAuthority1128 said...
This article brings up good points, but I think it needs to clarify a bit more that weight discrimination works both ways. At 91 pounds I don't hear the end of "you're so small" and the likes. Also, anorexia is a serious eating disorder and not a "look" or a weight.

PurpleMidnight said...
This is so true. I think every girl in America needs to read this! I may only be an eigth grader, but in todays society girls as little as fourth grade are wondering if they are too fat. For society, there is always somebody skinnier than you. You could be a 7, someone else your age is a 5, ect. Your a great author, keep on writing! <3

This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 23, 2009 at 9:31 am:
This is so true. Nobody is ever thin enough for society. Whenever I feel like I need to lose weight (which is stupid, considering I'm already thin) I just look at myself in the mirror, and say,"I'm happy with myself. Why should I care about how much I weigh?" This is an amazing article, you are a hero!

writer24/7/365 said...
Oct. 23, 2009 at 7:02 am:
This is very true. You're so strong. i'm not anorexic, but I still think abou my weight a lot. I feel miserable around the one size cheerleaders.

epingel said...
Oct. 23, 2009 at 3:04 am:
This passage is extreemely true, I believe that many people paky too much attention to how someone looks. I like how you pesonofied the scale because you should not have to worry about weight. And i like how you also talk about people that make others feel worse to make themselves feel better, and I think this is a major reason many people do worry about things such as these.

Electricity This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 12, 2009 at 9:55 pm:
This article is so... true. Really, you are a hero in my eyes. You have so much strength to not obsess over you're weight and the 'perfect' body", the way I did not have. You have accepted and love yourself, and that it makes people want to love you right back. :)

Rebecca H. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
yeah, I totally agree. I'm not in high school, but it is really annoying when people complain about weight and looks. You should be healthy, and that doesn't relate directly to weight. You just have to eat healthy foods and exercise, because they're healthy activities, not because they make you lose weight. And you should always consult a doctor before you go on a diet.

Riverine14 said...
Apr. 13, 2009 at 12:45 am:
This article is so true about many things. I've had problems like the author too, only mine was that I was too skinny. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not anorexic or bulimic and I don't do things obsesively to control my weight. I eat what I want, when I want and I don't worry about it. I weigh about 120 pouids but you can still see my ribs through my clothes. There are some people that taunt me about being "anoerexic" altough I'm not and it hurts at times. I feel like I hav... (more »)

Swimgirl said...
Apr. 13, 2009 at 12:19 am:
this artical really caused me to think. most of the girls in my school are peteite and underweight. i on the other hand am one of the very few who have a larger stature. i know i am the healthy and the correct weight, but with all the small and skinny girls, it makes you want to be like them. but this remindes you to be yourself and your own unique person.

trisha B. said...
well i way 140lbs and people have aways called me fat because i had huge boobs and butt well i always considered dieting(anorexia to be exact)but then they said i was phat as in pretty hot and tempting so if anyone calls you fat yuo think hey thanks i am hot arent i. lol

letschasecars said...
wow this was great. it really touched me, as i weigh almost 130 pounds (i'm 14.) this was inspiring to me, and it was wonderfully written.

alexzisbabe said...
Wow, this piece is really good and provides a great message to anyone with body insecurities. I too have some body issues and after reading this I have a better persepective and outlook on it:)

Chicken--Pie said...
Apr. 12, 2009 at 9:02 am:
I like this article because it plays on what's going round in most teenage girls' minds - weight, looks, acceptance - and yet the message it sends across is quite a good one. Except, when I get self-concious about this stuff I always tell myself that perfection can only ever become inperfection; and through loving our own imperfections as what they are, somehow, we become perfect in our own little ways. Like, a gift may seem good to start with, but it always becomes a curse somewhere down ... (more »)

Lyn said...
Apr. 11, 2009 at 5:51 am:
I think this post is really cool in idea. IT's right that no one is perfect. Whoever you are, you are still not perfect. Self-pity all over yourself is not the advisable thing, right?

Fwisherman said...
Apr. 11, 2009 at 4:07 am:
Thats good that you're comfortable with how you are, but that doesnt mean you should just let go. You still need to be healthy, and being fat, and also being to skinny, can be unhealthy. So you need to find a balance between the two thats healthy. All the best, Fwishy

Faith B. said...
Jan. 20, 2009 at 12:42 am:
i think this is the perfect idea. i'm a sophomore in high school and i am so tired of hearing girls complain about how they look and how much they weigh. i'm bigger then most of them but i've come to except it.. no one's perfect, but we're all beautiful

Kris321 said...
I think that u r totally right...I weigh around 130 lbs. and i am a size 7-9 jeans and i think i fat but hearing ths story boosts my ego...thanks for posting this now i believe that i can stop dieting and do what i want,eat what i want, and hit on guys...again thanks

brianna said...
this article is very good it talls you that know one is perfect in this world no meter if your skinny or fat your still not perfect.......