No Body Is Perfect This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I walked down the aisles looking for a pattern in my favorite clothing store. Just my luck, they had the cutest shorts – but only in sizes 0, 1, 3, 7, and 9. I wear a 13. Annoyed and devastated I walked out thinking, I’m just too fat.

The next week, at my grandmother’s house for the traditional spaghetti dinner, my cousin and his girlfriend, Ivy, joined us. We had a delicious dinner. Afterward, the women sat around talking about dieting and their weight and whatnot. My aunt complimented Ivy on how skinny she looked for weighing 120 pounds. My aunt said that she needed to go on a diet because she weighed almost 140 pounds. This comment kind of hurt me because I weigh almost 160 pounds. So I said, “I probably need to go on a diet too,” but I said this softly so, hopefully, they wouldn’t hear me.

Ivy, however, was sitting right next to me and heard what I said. She took me into the other room with her, and we sat on the bed. “When I was in my senior year of high school, I weighed 140 pounds,” she said. “I felt so insecure. I couldn’t imagine any guys would want to be with me because of how fat I was. I tried eating less, dieting, exercise, but nothing seemed to work. That was when I realized that no body is perfect. No anorexically skinny girl will ever be skinny enough for society to say that her body is ‘perfect,’ because then she would be considered ‘unhealthy.’”

I thought a lot about this for the next few days and realized that no one had ever called me fat, except when my mom was joking with me. So why was I so caught up with how much I weighed? Why was I so consumed by a number that does nothing but mock you? This number labels and classifies you and tells you “You can’t fit into those jeans because you’re 160 pounds. You can’t go out with him because you’re 160 pounds. No one will want to hang out with you because you’re 160 pounds” over and over.

I decided that I wasn’t going to let my weight rule my life. I wasn’t going to let it decide what I should and should not wear. At that point I realized that I, too, believe that no body is perfect, that no girl can be skinny enough, and that all those people who tell you the “anorexic look” is in are probably so uncomfortable with their own weight that they have to make other people self-conscious just to make themselves feel better.

So, anytime I start to feel self-conscious about my weight, I think to myself, Anorexia? I think not.

MadameMystery93 said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 6:50 pm:
I have issues with my body. but i am coming to realize that no one is perfect and that people who make fun of other peoples flaws then they are self conscience about themselves or they have nothing better in there lives to do then make fun of other people. so my advice to everyone who has a problem with ure body is that you are beautiful no matter what anyone else says.

sulamansk481 said...
May 31, 2010 at 1:21 pm:
I think this is a wonderful story because you don't have to think your overweight and what people think of you

bkcrider92 said...
May 14, 2010 at 4:09 pm:
This is great! Everyone should read this! =)

GorgeousChaos said...
I got my curves when i turned 11. When i was 15 i got into modeling and being 5'4" and a 120 pounds was considered fat. I knew i wasnt fat. And i refused to be told that i was so i quit modeling. Ladies, start a revolution and love your bodies. Every girl deserves to be told shes beautiful.

jkjk123 replied...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 10:10 am :

every girl IS beautiful

maybe ur not the skinniest or the tallest

maybe ur eys shine lke crystal pools of blue from aruba

or maybe ur hair shines like a thousand suns (if ur a brunette) ur eyes are so dark it is addictive to look at and ur hair looks like beautiful shiny copper

EMBRACE UR BODY

shape isnt everything and those derrogatory "yo momma" jokes are rude and made for insecure peopl... (more »)

firstsnowfalls This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 8:55 pm:
great job. thanks for writing!

notebookgirl said...
Mar. 14, 2010 at 5:11 pm:
ive been a bit self concious since i went up from a 6 to an 8 but i think you helped me thanks for writing this

JesusGirl13 said...
Feb. 26, 2010 at 8:53 pm:
I'm about 150 and I have problems with my body... I'm althetic though but not as much as I used to be. Nobody has called me fat but I do feel fat sometimes.... This really helped me a lot. Thank you!!!

OlenkaOMg said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 10:06 pm:
I like the article.
It definatly describes how i feel, but if you can lose the weight, i think anyone who wants it should go for it!

simplyalone said...
i have such low self confidence. I am disgustef by meself sometimes. I'm a size 6 and i feel like a cow. after reading this i started to cry because i'm trying so hard to lsoe weight. I'm eating so mush less, exercising vigorously but nothing seems to work. i'm a freshman in high school and i have a good amount of friends. there are some days when i feel like i don't deserve friends because i'm so fat and ugly. like a don't deserve happiness. thank you for writ... (more »)

sunnyhunny This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 12, 2010 at 5:35 pm :
I'm really sorry that you are having this mental battle, and I can assure you that you do not see yourself the way everyone around you does. Things like this are deeper than weight. Don't let it turn into an eating disorder. I have no business in telling you what to do, but im about your age and was having some of the same problems. I eventually ended up with anorexia, and it was a long battle. I missed out on a lot, and it wasn't worth it at all. You deserve friends and hap... (more »)

AubreyB said...
I totally get where you're coming from! Don't you just hate it when the stores have nothing in your size? I have friends that are size 7 and say they have to go on a diet and I feel so bad about myself.More people could use an attitude towards this topic the way you do(That includes myself).

hola said...
this article is good one

Nicolioliolsterz_1 said...
I used to have the same problem.feeling insecure when I couldnt find a size 12 for a pair of jeans or shirt I wanted. But its not about what other people say its about how you truly feel about yourself and ho w great you look no matter what.very inspirational!!

HollyFac said...
This piece is inspring and girls, while they're young, should read it. While they're young. I know that I'm close to adulthood and I'm stuck in my ways, but had someone showed this to me while I was young, I probably would have grown up with much more confidence.
Good job. Keep writing.

McGurker This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Your mom calls you fat? Hm...

HouseOfNightVampire said...
So true. I may only be in 7th grade but i know what this is talking about.

sallysunshine said...
Nov. 14, 2009 at 9:54 am:
yea, well, the problem is, Americans are just bad. They are either anorexic or really fat usually. I am Canadian and whenever I go to the states i notice how many problems u guys have with weight issuues. I mean, we're not perfect, but in canada 160 pounds is not normal unless you're tall, muscular or big-boned

~♪Gecko♫~ replied...
Jan. 5, 2010 at 12:33 am :
Wow, I have to say, that's the wrong attitude! I myself am Canadian, and as much as I hate to admit it, we have problems with weight - whether it's anorexia or obesity - too! You can't say something like that, it's extremely stereotypical, and as it says in this article, you shouldn't let your weight rule your life. I hate to burst your bubble "sunshine", but there are issues with weight ALL OVER THE WORLD, not just in America.

chetahgirl20This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Aug. 27, 2010 at 11:17 am :
Exactly! How would you like for me to say that Canadians always think they look, ugly, eh? Don't be stereotypical, either! I am proud to say that sometimes I have weight issues, and if you have a problem with that; you might as well label yourself as a jerk.