No Body Is Perfect | Teen Ink

No Body Is Perfect MAG

By Anonymous

I walked down the aisles looking for a pattern in my favorite clothing store. Just my luck, they had the cutest shorts – but only in sizes 0, 1, 3, 7, and 9. I wear a 13. Annoyed and devastated I walked out thinking, I’m just too fat.

The next week, at my grandmother’s house for the traditional spaghetti dinner, my cousin and his girlfriend, Ivy, joined us. We had a delicious dinner. Afterward, the women sat around talking about dieting and their weight and whatnot. My aunt complimented Ivy on how skinny she looked for weighing 120 pounds. My aunt said that she needed to go on a diet because she weighed almost 140 pounds. This comment kind of hurt me because I weigh almost 160 pounds. So I said, “I probably need to go on a diet too,” but I said this softly so, hopefully, they wouldn’t hear me.

Ivy, however, was sitting right next to me and heard what I said. She took me into the other room with her, and we sat on the bed. “When I was in my senior year of high school, I weighed 140 pounds,” she said. “I felt so insecure. I couldn’t imagine any guys would want to be with me because of how fat I was. I tried eating less, dieting, exercise, but nothing seemed to work. That was when I realized that no body is perfect. No anorexically skinny girl will ever be skinny enough for society to say that her body is ‘perfect,’ because then she would be considered ‘unhealthy.’”

I thought a lot about this for the next few days and realized that no one had ever called me fat, except when my mom was joking with me. So why was I so caught up with how much I weighed? Why was I so consumed by a number that does nothing but mock you? This number labels and classifies you and tells you “You can’t fit into those jeans because you’re 160 pounds. You can’t go out with him because you’re 160 pounds. No one will want to hang out with you because you’re 160 pounds” over and over.

I decided that I wasn’t going to let my weight rule my life. I wasn’t going to let it decide what I should and should not wear. At that point I realized that I, too, believe that no body is perfect, that no girl can be skinny enough, and that all those people who tell you the “anorexic look” is in are probably so uncomfortable with their own weight that they have to make other people self-conscious just to make themselves feel better.

So, anytime I start to feel self-conscious about my weight, I think to myself, Anorexia? I think not.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 118 comments.


steph said...
on Nov. 23 2010 at 9:25 pm

And it's people like you who that are causing the anorexic problem. Not to mention the teen depression.

I totally agree with this girl. 13 is way to young to worry about dieting... eating healthy is a definate yes.

It's just as unhealthy to be in the "Single Digits" as it is to be in the double digits. Because guess what? You can still be thin even if all you eat is fast food. My friend is living proof of that. She's a size 3 and she lives off of Burgar King and McDonalds...now she might have to go in for a diabetes check because of her so called "Fattening lifestyle." It's not always the fat people who eat unhealthily... it's skinny people too.

And if America is so fat... Be apart of the solution....don't bring others down... the best solution is to provide encouragement for eating heathy! NOT SHAME FOR BEING "FAT"!


JennyBabe said...
on Nov. 23 2010 at 9:02 pm
Im Only 15 but i weigh 100 pounds. I think what she said was so true. Girls at my school freak out if they weigh 110 and complain they need to diet. My best friend weigh 130. and Shes Beautiful. I Wish I Had Meat, So You Go Girl!

on Nov. 23 2010 at 2:50 pm
Soaring_high23 BRONZE, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
Enjoy life today, yesterday is gone, and tomorrow may never come.

I like women the way I like my peanut butter...chuncky! :) Oh and who says you're not in shape? circle's a shape haha its fun to laugh about things in life that for some reason frustrate us :)

on Nov. 23 2010 at 12:51 pm
same here im only 113 and imma size 2 and i kinda hate it i wish i was more ummm volumptious

on Nov. 23 2010 at 12:50 pm
okay my friend says solution lose wieght..but i say its okay if you think that your body is good hten its good dont even think about what other people think your you and stay that way..ily

on Nov. 23 2010 at 8:44 am
I completely understand this situation. But sometimes, i can't accept myself

on Nov. 1 2010 at 9:21 pm
tomgirl.93 GOLD, Sudbury, Massachusetts
10 articles 2 photos 21 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Learn who you are and stand by it."

I may not see this in your eyes, but I feel it is very important to see good in your own skin but unlike you my mother is not joking when she calls me fat, a size 2 to her is fat. Think is this what people are thinking now? When everyone is not fat nor skinny but prepositional 

on Nov. 1 2010 at 8:25 am
I agree. I'm 106 pounds and wear a size 0 yet I'm still always worrying about my body, and so is everyone else. I gain two pounds and it turns into this huge deal.

403jaa BRONZE said...
on Oct. 29 2010 at 11:37 am
403jaa BRONZE, Plaquemine, Louisiana
2 articles 0 photos 5 comments
This article helped me to realize no one is perfect.People come in all shapes in size.I feel as if I'm too skinny, I'm a little bit small for a size 1. I try eating more and more each and everyday to gain weight, but it does not work. The weight catches up with me later in the future. I only weigh 106 pounds at the my age of 16.After reading the topic I feel . better about size

hnw415 BRONZE said...
on Oct. 28 2010 at 12:01 pm
hnw415 BRONZE, Maringouin, Louisiana
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments
I weigh 110 pounds and wear a size 1. I am completely satisfied with my body, but no other person seems to be. Especially girls. It seems like a girl always has a negative comment about my body. It brings me down. People worry about weight and body image too much in this world. Why can't we get to know a person before avoiding them because of how they look? It just doesn't seem to make any sense.

on Oct. 24 2010 at 11:47 pm
SpringRayyn PLATINUM, Lakeville, Minnesota
34 articles 2 photos 658 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't punish yourself," she heard her say again, but there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness too. That was writing."
--Markus Zusak, "The Book Thief"

When you repeat the number over and over like that, it just seems bigger and bigger every time, so it must need to get smaller so that it seems to stay the same. If that doesn't make sense to you, you won't understand.

on Oct. 10 2010 at 1:25 pm
falling_star DIAMOND, Stafford, Virginia
52 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"This sh-t writes itself." --William Shakespere

This is great. :) I've always been very small, 5 feet tall and 100 pounds (about) because I'm a very active person. People tease me all the time... people are impossible to please. My theory? Life is what you decide it to be, and whatever weight is healthy for you is fantastic.

on Oct. 9 2010 at 4:41 pm
wonderwoman17, San Jose, California
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
This really hit home. When I was in middle school, I weighed 120 and was 5' 3''. I was called fat by some of my classmates, and it really affected me mentally. I wore D cups, and some older boys/men would wolf whistle on the street, while the boys and girls in my class would  make fun of me and say I "stuffed." I felt really fat, and so the summer after 8th grade, I started exercising and dieting vigurously. Long story short, by the end of sophmore year I weighed 97 lbs. I am now a B cup. I needed help, so I had to have weekly check ins with my doctor. She could not diagnose me with an official eating disorder because I was not throwing up or bulmenic, I was simlpy just extremly dieting. My personall struggle has been tough, but I think I am healing. Last time I checked I weighed 106, an extreme improvement. And you want to know what? I have been on bothe ends of the scale, and I can say I was critizised on both sides. First I was too fat for some, then too skinny and "shape-less" for others. So I decided that I have to please myself, and not anyone else's expectations of what I should or shouldn't look like.

on Sep. 18 2010 at 9:02 pm
fictionlover10 SILVER, Scottsdale, Arizona
6 articles 0 photos 59 comments
Not only are bigger girls made fun of, small ones are too. I'm in the 25th percentile for my weight and people make fun of me because they think i'm anorexic or bulimic. So it just goes to show- people today say they want the perfect body, which means anything except the one they have, and which means mock people who have what you don't.

Jennay. said...
on Sep. 1 2010 at 7:55 am
Jennay., Spotsylvania, Virginia
0 articles 0 photos 14 comments
I think this is a perfect example to look up to especailly to girls. Girls are always self-concious and most of the time its about there weight. Sometimes people say they are fat even though they are as skinny as a toothpick and yet theres someone right next to them who is a little bit bigger than them and they don't even think of that person. That person may feel exactly what you felt. Its ridiculous how much girls really care. If you would rather eat a brownie then a banana then go for it, whatever floats your boat.

on Aug. 27 2010 at 8:03 pm
SamiLynn PLATINUM, Anthem, Arizona
20 articles 9 photos 137 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The unexamined life is not worth living." ~Socrates

I love this. Girls really need to snap out of it sometimes when it comes to the body issue. Not that I'm saying I don't feel that way- I feel that way often. But everyone does- the skinniest people I know have confided in me. But I can honestly say I have always truly felt beautiful and everyone else should too. 15 extra pounds does not equal ugly.

kay.marie said...
on Aug. 27 2010 at 2:57 pm
kay.marie, Towaoc, Colorado
0 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
*"Keep your head up and reach for the stars don't let no one get you down, you know who you are."-Mr.Capone-E*

*The obstacles we face in life aren't what make hard, it's how you choose to look at and deal with them.*

this is like exactly how i feel sometimes. and you're absolutely right , no girl should have to worry about their weight. i'm 160 and im gorgeous  because of who i choosed to be not who my weight implies i should be. :D nice article!

on Aug. 27 2010 at 11:17 am
chetahgirl20 PLATINUM, Rosemount, Minnesota
25 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
The world is your oyster, and the universe is a fish.
-Me

Exactly! How would you like for me to say that Canadians always think they look, ugly, eh? Don't be stereotypical, either! I am proud to say that sometimes I have weight issues, and if you have a problem with that; you might as well label yourself as a jerk. 

on Aug. 5 2010 at 10:32 pm
distant_dreamer GOLD, Belmont, New Hampshire
12 articles 6 photos 497 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life's a climb, but the view is great!"

Same here, a lot of people tell me that I'm thin, and I can't believe them. I feel so fat, and when I look in the mirror I hate to see the reflection. :( I think seriously to myself about not eating, but idk...

Young-T SILVER said...
on Aug. 5 2010 at 6:39 pm
Young-T SILVER, Glendale, Arizona
6 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"A Gangster Is Usually A Young Boy Who Followed A Figure Who Had No Father Figure" - Young T

Weight shouldnt matter for any girl. its what is on the inside that should matter. I weigh 180 pounds and im 6ft tall and im a model. i also wear a size 13 :). You should never be down graded because of you weight. God made you how you are for a reason.