No Body Is Perfect This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I walked down the aisles looking for a pattern in my favorite clothing store. Just my luck, they had the cutest shorts – but only in sizes 0, 1, 3, 7, and 9. I wear a 13. Annoyed and devastated I walked out thinking, I’m just too fat.

The next week, at my grandmother’s house for the traditional spaghetti dinner, my cousin and his girlfriend, Ivy, joined us. We had a delicious dinner. Afterward, the women sat around talking about dieting and their weight and whatnot. My aunt complimented Ivy on how skinny she looked for weighing 120 pounds. My aunt said that she needed to go on a diet because she weighed almost 140 pounds. This comment kind of hurt me because I weigh almost 160 pounds. So I said, “I probably need to go on a diet too,” but I said this softly so, hopefully, they wouldn’t hear me.

Ivy, however, was sitting right next to me and heard what I said. She took me into the other room with her, and we sat on the bed. “When I was in my senior year of high school, I weighed 140 pounds,” she said. “I felt so insecure. I couldn’t imagine any guys would want to be with me because of how fat I was. I tried eating less, dieting, exercise, but nothing seemed to work. That was when I realized that no body is perfect. No anorexically skinny girl will ever be skinny enough for society to say that her body is ‘perfect,’ because then she would be considered ‘unhealthy.’”

I thought a lot about this for the next few days and realized that no one had ever called me fat, except when my mom was joking with me. So why was I so caught up with how much I weighed? Why was I so consumed by a number that does nothing but mock you? This number labels and classifies you and tells you “You can’t fit into those jeans because you’re 160 pounds. You can’t go out with him because you’re 160 pounds. No one will want to hang out with you because you’re 160 pounds” over and over.

I decided that I wasn’t going to let my weight rule my life. I wasn’t going to let it decide what I should and should not wear. At that point I realized that I, too, believe that no body is perfect, that no girl can be skinny enough, and that all those people who tell you the “anorexic look” is in are probably so uncomfortable with their own weight that they have to make other people self-conscious just to make themselves feel better.

So, anytime I start to feel self-conscious about my weight, I think to myself, Anorexia? I think not.

BrixCheerbaby97 said...
Nov. 25, 2010 at 7:29 am:
People like you are the reason more  people are becoming depressed. Ome of the kids in my school THAT I WAS CLOSE TO! killed himself because people were making fun of him because he was a little bigger than everyone else no kid should have to become that depressed over the number on the back of their pants so i suggest you get a reality check

Soaring_high23 said...
I like women the way I like my peanut butter...chuncky! :) Oh and who says you're not in shape? circle's a shape haha its fun to laugh about things in life that for some reason frustrate us :)

poopstain incey said...
okay my friend says solution lose wieght..but i say its okay if you think that your body is good hten its good dont even think about what other people think your you and stay that way..ily

ShankssYuLater said...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 8:44 am:
I completely understand this situation. But sometimes, i can't accept myself

Crash. said...
I may not see this in your eyes, but I feel it is very important to see good in your own skin but unlike you my mother is not joking when she calls me fat, a size 2 to her is fat. Think is this what people are thinking now? When everyone is not fat nor skinny but prepositional 

403jaa said...
Oct. 29, 2010 at 11:37 am:
This article helped me to realize no one is perfect.People come in all shapes in size.I feel as if I'm too skinny, I'm a little bit small for a size 1. I try eating more and more each and everyday to gain weight, but it does not work. The weight catches up with me later in the future. I only weigh 106 pounds at the my age of 16.After reading the topic I feel . better about size

hnw415 said...
I weigh 110 pounds and wear a size 1. I am completely satisfied with my body, but no other person seems to be. Especially girls. It seems like a girl always has a negative comment about my body. It brings me down. People worry about weight and body image too much in this world. Why can't we get to know a person before avoiding them because of how they look? It just doesn't seem to make any sense.

BrokenInnocence replied...
Nov. 1, 2010 at 8:25 am :
I agree. I'm 106 pounds and wear a size 0 yet I'm still always worrying about my body, and so is everyone else. I gain two pounds and it turns into this huge deal.

poopstain incey replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 12:51 pm :
same here im only 113 and imma size 2 and i kinda hate it i wish i was more ummm volumptious

SpringRayynThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
When you repeat the number over and over like that, it just seems bigger and bigger every time, so it must need to get smaller so that it seems to stay the same. If that doesn't make sense to you, you won't understand.

falling_star This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is great. :) I've always been very small, 5 feet tall and 100 pounds (about) because I'm a very active person. People tease me all the time... people are impossible to please. My theory? Life is what you decide it to be, and whatever weight is healthy for you is fantastic.

wonderwoman17 said...
This really hit home. When I was in middle school, I weighed 120 and was 5' 3''. I was called fat by some of my classmates, and it really affected me mentally. I wore D cups, and some older boys/men would wolf whistle on the street, while the boys and girls in my class would  make fun of me and say I "stuffed." I felt really fat, and so the summer after 8th grade, I started exercising and dieting vigurously. Long story short, by the end of sophmore year I weighed 97 lbs. I am now a B cup. I... (more »)

fictionlover10 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Not only are bigger girls made fun of, small ones are too. I'm in the 25th percentile for my weight and people make fun of me because they think i'm anorexic or bulimic. So it just goes to show- people today say they want the perfect body, which means anything except the one they have, and which means mock people who have what you don't.

Jennay. said...
Sept. 1, 2010 at 7:55 am:
I think this is a perfect example to look up to especailly to girls. Girls are always self-concious and most of the time its about there weight. Sometimes people say they are fat even though they are as skinny as a toothpick and yet theres someone right next to them who is a little bit bigger than them and they don't even think of that person. That person may feel exactly what you felt. Its ridiculous how much girls really care. If you would rather eat a brownie then a banana then go for it, wha... (more »)

SamiLynn said...
I love this. Girls really need to snap out of it sometimes when it comes to the body issue. Not that I'm saying I don't feel that way- I feel that way often. But everyone does- the skinniest people I know have confided in me. But I can honestly say I have always truly felt beautiful and everyone else should too. 15 extra pounds does not equal ugly.

kay.marie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is like exactly how i feel sometimes. and you're absolutely right , no girl should have to worry about their weight. i'm 160 and im gorgeous  because of who i choosed to be not who my weight implies i should be. :D nice article!

Tina O. said...
Weight shouldnt matter for any girl. its what is on the inside that should matter. I weigh 180 pounds and im 6ft tall and im a model. i also wear a size 13 :). You should never be down graded because of you weight. God made you how you are for a reason.

GamerGirl75 said...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 12:33 pm:
I think this article hits dead on with some girls. I'm almost 160 too but I'm tall, 5' 10, and sometimes I feel like I'm too fat when I realize, I'm good for myself. I'm not morbidy obese and i excerise almost every day. Sure I don't wear a size four and look like a stick but I look like an actual person. Besides there's more to a person than their exterior.

wearewed said...
Jun. 22, 2010 at 9:48 am:
i feel so insicure about my body. everyone says i'm thin but i have such a hard time beiliving them it is so hard

distant_dreamer replied...
Aug. 5, 2010 at 10:32 pm :
Same here, a lot of people tell me that I'm thin, and I can't believe them. I feel so fat, and when I look in the mirror I hate to see the reflection. :( I think seriously to myself about not eating, but idk...