No Body Is Perfect This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I walked down the aisles looking for a pattern in my favorite clothing store. Just my luck, they had the cutest shorts – but only in sizes 0, 1, 3, 7, and 9. I wear a 13. Annoyed and devastated I walked out thinking, I’m just too fat.

The next week, at my grandmother’s house for the traditional spaghetti dinner, my cousin and his girlfriend, Ivy, joined us. We had a delicious dinner. Afterward, the women sat around talking about dieting and their weight and whatnot. My aunt complimented Ivy on how skinny she looked for weighing 120 pounds. My aunt said that she needed to go on a diet because she weighed almost 140 pounds. This comment kind of hurt me because I weigh almost 160 pounds. So I said, “I probably need to go on a diet too,” but I said this softly so, hopefully, they wouldn’t hear me.

Ivy, however, was sitting right next to me and heard what I said. She took me into the other room with her, and we sat on the bed. “When I was in my senior year of high school, I weighed 140 pounds,” she said. “I felt so insecure. I couldn’t imagine any guys would want to be with me because of how fat I was. I tried eating less, dieting, exercise, but nothing seemed to work. That was when I realized that no body is perfect. No anorexically skinny girl will ever be skinny enough for society to say that her body is ‘perfect,’ because then she would be considered ‘unhealthy.’”

I thought a lot about this for the next few days and realized that no one had ever called me fat, except when my mom was joking with me. So why was I so caught up with how much I weighed? Why was I so consumed by a number that does nothing but mock you? This number labels and classifies you and tells you “You can’t fit into those jeans because you’re 160 pounds. You can’t go out with him because you’re 160 pounds. No one will want to hang out with you because you’re 160 pounds” over and over.

I decided that I wasn’t going to let my weight rule my life. I wasn’t going to let it decide what I should and should not wear. At that point I realized that I, too, believe that no body is perfect, that no girl can be skinny enough, and that all those people who tell you the “anorexic look” is in are probably so uncomfortable with their own weight that they have to make other people self-conscious just to make themselves feel better.

So, anytime I start to feel self-conscious about my weight, I think to myself, Anorexia? I think not.

Hey! Veg >.< said...

I understand! I was THE chubbiest kid in my grade school classes. I thought I'd never be "normal".

(of course, my sister is the tallest, slimmest creature on the earth and this doesn't help)

Dieting or disliking yourself need not be a solution. Find a physical activity that you love. Lose yourself in it and learn to love yourself for who you are and what your body is. It  carries you everywhere you go.

Good luck with whatever you do!

<... (more »)

ZaiinaS said...

Okay After reading most of these comments

i feel super skinny

and imma happy

id rather be that than Fat

Hollyss said...
I once felt so self-conscious that I was afraid to go out in anything less than jeans and a T-shirt. Some rude guys had called me fat to bother me, and my dad even called me fat and made me weigh myself in front of the whole family. I was humiliated! But my friends all told me how pretty I was and how I had never looked fat to them. They helped me feel happy about myself and I love them for that.

unknown replied...
Dec. 16, 2010 at 9:42 am
used to be picked on wen in elementury but Now im in middell school and have tons of freneds and i dont let people bother me any more and the insaltes have stoped

hrf1434This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Hey, I know what you mean, I'm 12 and way 128.2 pounds. and hate my body, but I know what you mean. God made me, you and everyone different so why fight who we are. 

peachy37 said...

I am a size 13. I'm 5'7 and weigh around 170lbs. I've weighed this much since my freshman year of high school, and I love my body. This is very inspiring. I'm so glad you wrote this. I hope to see more articles from you soon!

Love,

Chloe

michaelchavez replied...
thats the way to stay positive

paperandpen said...
I hate when people look at you, and don't say a word, but you can imagine what they're saying in their heads about you...because it hurts maybe even more, than their words itself...

MarissaLaGrange replied...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 7:35 am

I hate that also. Makes you go crazy. xD

~*Rissa*~

TerryBerry15 said...
Dec. 15, 2010 at 11:41 am
I like this article because everyday people make fun of Fat people and it's not fair because we're just a little skinnier than them being overweight dosn't mean no one will like you!I hang out with all kinds of people and I look at them for their personality not just their looks and how big they are.,!

FadetoFluorescent This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

The writing in this article isn't amazing, but the meaning shows through. Though I do want to offer a little . . . sensitivity training, perhaps:

A lot of your readers here would be girls or boys who have dealt with weight issues, but perhaps a bit harsher than you have. Maybe they've actually struggled with anorexia, bulimia, self-harm, or things of the sort. Because this is a large part of your audience, you may want to refrain from using 'anorexic' as an adjective. It is not a ... (more »)

KathrynWilks8492 replied...
Thanks for your comment because I thought the same thing when I read this. People make fun of overweight people but they also make fun of skinny people and classify them with the "Anorexic body" and its ignorant. Like you said its not a body type, Its a disease that takes lives. I don't have anorexia but I struggle and dont eat sometimes and people call me anorexic because I'm thin and it hurts. This was a great article but i agree with you anorexic is not a adjective.

ShankssYuLater said...
Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:36 am
I Wish I Could Feel That Way About Myself...

ReadingFanatic said...
I'm 90 pounds, and I'm not starving, in fact I usually eat more than my friends, I just exercise over an hour usually each day. (PE is 45 minutes, plus 15 minutes or more of dance) Kudos for you, for loving yourself no matter what. :)

bubblesfunbee said...
Im 5'11", 16 and weight around 165. I can nt remember when i weight 10 pounds. Just because you have to wear a size 12 dress doesnt mean you are fat. It just means thats what size fits your body and make you look great. Alway wear something that fits you, even if its a bigger size than you would like. It will make you look better than trying to fit into a much smaller size.

lena1918 said...
yeah! i know what you're getting at i feel the same way...i way 156 lbs and im only in middle school all of my friends are soo skinny they are like toothpicks! but i get soo insecure around them because they try to diet and stuff...i've tried believe me i've tried and i didn't work i just can't stop eating...i know i need self-control but i dont have any...but i get what you're sayin about the whole "that guy won't date you cuz you're 160 lbs" cuz believe me i have never had a boyfriend...b... (more »)

J&J BFF 4EVR said...
i totally get how you feel, girl. i;m 5'6, 13, adn weigh 130-140 pounds; idr which............i can fit in anything froma size 3 to a size 10, and it can get really embarressing when i cant fit into the smaller sizes. this article maes me a whole lot ore confident; who cares if you have curves? it just makes you a whole lot more smexy. ;)

glittergirl15 said...
Im 15 and i dont even weigh 100 pounds yet! I still have to wear kids clothes! Embrace your body!

JennyBabe said...
Im Only 15 but i weigh 100 pounds. I think what she said was so true. Girls at my school freak out if they weigh 110 and complain they need to diet. My best friend weigh 130. and Shes Beautiful. I Wish I Had Meat, So You Go Girl!

steph said...

And it's people like you who that are causing the anorexic problem. Not to mention the teen depression.

I totally agree with this girl. 13 is way to young to worry about dieting... eating healthy is a definate yes.

It's just as unhealthy to be in the "Single Digits" as it is to be in the double digits. Because guess what? You can still be thin even if all you eat is fast food. My friend is living proof of that. She's a size 3 and she lives off of Burgar King and McDonalds...now ... (more »)