No Body Is Perfect This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I walked down the aisles looking for a pattern in my favorite clothing store. Just my luck, they had the cutest shorts – but only in sizes 0, 1, 3, 7, and 9. I wear a 13. Annoyed and devastated I walked out thinking, I’m just too fat.

The next week, at my grandmother’s house for the traditional spaghetti dinner, my cousin and his girlfriend, Ivy, joined us. We had a delicious dinner. Afterward, the women sat around talking about dieting and their weight and whatnot. My aunt complimented Ivy on how skinny she looked for weighing 120 pounds. My aunt said that she needed to go on a diet because she weighed almost 140 pounds. This comment kind of hurt me because I weigh almost 160 pounds. So I said, “I probably need to go on a diet too,” but I said this softly so, hopefully, they wouldn’t hear me.

Ivy, however, was sitting right next to me and heard what I said. She took me into the other room with her, and we sat on the bed. “When I was in my senior year of high school, I weighed 140 pounds,” she said. “I felt so insecure. I couldn’t imagine any guys would want to be with me because of how fat I was. I tried eating less, dieting, exercise, but nothing seemed to work. That was when I realized that no body is perfect. No anorexically skinny girl will ever be skinny enough for society to say that her body is ‘perfect,’ because then she would be considered ‘unhealthy.’”

I thought a lot about this for the next few days and realized that no one had ever called me fat, except when my mom was joking with me. So why was I so caught up with how much I weighed? Why was I so consumed by a number that does nothing but mock you? This number labels and classifies you and tells you “You can’t fit into those jeans because you’re 160 pounds. You can’t go out with him because you’re 160 pounds. No one will want to hang out with you because you’re 160 pounds” over and over.

I decided that I wasn’t going to let my weight rule my life. I wasn’t going to let it decide what I should and should not wear. At that point I realized that I, too, believe that no body is perfect, that no girl can be skinny enough, and that all those people who tell you the “anorexic look” is in are probably so uncomfortable with their own weight that they have to make other people self-conscious just to make themselves feel better.

So, anytime I start to feel self-conscious about my weight, I think to myself, Anorexia? I think not.

soccergoalie6 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 4:26 pm:
im sorry to say this but i dont really like your mom... even though i dont know her she seems kinda rude. your mom might be the best woman in the world but i dont think any decent mother should even think about joking with there kid about them being fat it just doesnt seem right.........

MsMusicGeek101 replied...
Apr. 4, 2011 at 6:34 am :
you actually don't know her mom, so you can't say anything bad about her mom. She's okay with her mom teasing her, my mom teases me sometimes too about being anorexic (and I'm a size S), and I'm fine with it. I would tell my mom if she offended me, and I think the writer of this article would as well. Just saying...

ScienceKid said...
Mar. 6, 2011 at 5:45 am:
Beauty is in the mind of the beholder, so you can't exactly be ugly or pretty. I'm the 2nd-skinnniest kid in my homeroom, and that's OK. What's ugly to one may be beautiful to the next. Average people make fun of fat people, but it just does nothing but hurt their feelings. We shoudn't let appearance rule over us.

Marissabd242This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 21, 2011 at 1:39 pm:
I absolutely love this article!  It has such a ring of truth.  Sometimes we try so hard to fit that "perfect" model, to be thin because we believe thin is perfect, thin gets attention, thin is the only kind of beauty.  Who decides beauty anyway? 

MonaLisa218 said...
Feb. 19, 2011 at 8:22 pm:
I am what people consider "fat". I look at myself as...well i don't know. When i read this i thought about what people say about me doesn't matter. This gave me more inspiration to be myself. Thanks so much!!!!

ZombieDanceWithMe said...
Feb. 19, 2011 at 1:12 am:

I just wanted to say two things:

1.) I really liked this article! I'm definitely saving this one!

and

2.) I dissagree. The  body's who are perfect are the body's who are comfortable with themselves. If you can be comfortable with who you are in every aspect, then you are perfect. Perfect to yourself. And your proud of that. And I think thats cool c:

keelz said...
Feb. 17, 2011 at 6:03 pm:
i used to think i was to short and skinny i hated it now i realize thatif i am healthy it doesnt matter

SecretSasha said...
Feb. 11, 2011 at 10:24 am:
I really like this article! It's great that you realized to be happy with your body, before you went to extremes like so many girls. Good article!

Mrs.IsabellaCullen said...
Please keep your comments positive and constructive. We'll remove anything inappropriate. Thanks!

Bribribri said...
Mrs. Isabella Cullen I think you are trying to tell crack head that he shouldn't use crack and be positive!

pimpg2 said...
Jan. 28, 2011 at 10:07 am:
i weigh 225 but im 6'2 so yall are all large

cookielove said...
Wow. that's great. i weigh 260... i know i should lose weight. but first, i learned to accept myself. im losing pound after pound now! so good for you realizing 160 is healthy! that's my goal!

MarissaLaGrange said...
Jan. 11, 2011 at 7:32 am:

160 pounds is nothing, I used to weigh 260 pounds. I lost a lot and now weight 189 pounds. I'm still big but I pull it off pretty well. It's taken me forever to get where I am now.

But I have a boyfriend of 3 years, and he likes the way I look so I feel fine.

everyone has a different body build, therefore everyone has a different weight they can be at. As for me I will never be able to be below 140 pounds without looking anorexic.

~*Rissa*~
more »)

BlahBlah135 replied...
Jan. 12, 2011 at 1:32 pm :
You should lose weight

MarissaLaGrange replied...
Jan. 13, 2011 at 7:05 am :

I don't see you showing a picture of yourself.

If you had read what I said in the comment correctly you'd know that I have lost weight and still am losing weight.

So before you start saying I should lose some, get your facts right. :D

~*Rissa*~

Eternal-flo replied...
Apr. 16, 2011 at 1:38 am :
As if you would know Blahblah135. Forever be crushed by the incompitence of your useless logic and learn to accept people as who they truly are. Learn to not use stereotypes and back off of this chick!!

kennapie12 said...
the oversizing on tshirts made me look bigger than what i was!! when i wore the tight shirt i felt that everyone looked at me as if i was a whole different person!!

kennapie12 said...
Im in 8th grade and ive been bout the exact same weight for the last 3 years. Ive always been bigger round the middle no matter how many sports i played. To cover it up i always wore oversized t shirts to mask it. In 7th grade i wore a super tight shirt for the first time, i realized i am not fat, ive now thinned out and most of it is muscle i feel so proud now!! Im glad other people have gone through relatively the same thing!!

Israel70717 said...
Nice story! I have never had this problem tho. For me it was im too skinney! I always wanted to be like my cousins that made fun of me! but then I just ignored it and I stayed really active doing sports and stuff. im now in pretty good shape and my cousins well you can say they arent what i expected them to turn out like! so just forget about trying to have a perfect body. Love how you look and that will help you through just about anything!

I feelz ur painn said...
Jan. 6, 2011 at 7:38 am:
Im in sevemth grade and I feel exactly the same....im one ofm the biggest people in my family and prolly in my class. I weigh about 150 but still feel self conciece but i never let it get to mee anymoree