Magazine, website & books written by teens since 1989

I Choked This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

By
My life flashed before my eyes and I was minutes from passing out. I was not capable of breathing and I sounded like a horse as I struggled for breath. This particular day, I will, by no means, ever forget.

It was 2:45 p.m. and school had just ended. My mom was a bit behind schedule to drive Marisa, Jack, and me home from school. Marisa is my neighbor, and Jack is my friend who lives around the block. While we patiently waited, Marisa, knowing I was hungry, offered me a snack. It was not your ordinary Hershey’s bar; in fact, it was more like a ball of chocolate roughly half an inch thick. I tossed it in my mouth, and for some reason, forgot to chew, which should have been automatic. Clearly, without chewing, it is quite difficult to swallow something that size.

From then on, everything is a blur. I remember chatting with Jack, and him making a funny remark. An appropriate response in this situation would be a giggle, which is exactly what I did. As I began to laugh, I breathed in, and abruptly started to choke on the chocolate. At this point, Jack and Marisa struggled to remain calm. Next, Marisa attempted the Heimlich Maneuver, unfortunately failing. She repeated the process, and was unsuccessful yet again.

I began to panic. I thought I was going to die. I couldn’t breathe, and I was suffocating. I thought I had no hope whatsoever. Since Marisa had been unsuccessful, Jack heaved her out of the way and made an effort to save me. His first attempt was not effective, so he tried a second time. Fortunately, during his second attempt at the Heimlich Maneuver, he succeeded and the chocolate flew out of my mouth.

I would not be here to reflect on this day if Jack had not been there to save me. This has changed me. I was a girl who appreciated no one, who did not realize how grateful she was just to be living under a roof. And this girl has changed into someone else. This experience transformed me into a person whom I now can say I am very proud to be.

This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. This piece has been published in Teen Ink’s monthly print magazine.




Join the Discussion


This article has 6 comments. Post your own!

DanceAwayThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 3, 2010 at 2:46 pm:
I think its a good story, but I honestly dont think its very well written. Not to mention it is in the wrong section, it should probably be in Nonfiction Personal Experience. 
 
Reply to this comment Post a new comment
 
Graceab said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 12:53 am:
Wow, very well written and inspiring. I chokced on milo once LOL, i like was eating it with a spoon and accidentally breathe it in, got dizzy and collapsed. while i was on the ground i managed to coucgh it up though. But geez my throat hurt for days, coz like.. milo hurts :L
Anyway, THAT WAS AWESOME
 
Reply to this comment Post a new comment
 
Layla said...
Feb. 10, 2010 at 10:16 pm:
I had tha same thing happen to me only mine was with a piece of steak, my best friend jorden was ther and he has been my life saver for so long and i stil owe him bak for helping me not die=)
 
Reply to this comment Post a new comment
 
trisha B. said...
Apr. 12, 2009 at 11:17 pm:
wow i have been down that path before but it wasnt chocolate it was a crmal apple though i was laughing hysterically and you were giggleing
 
Reply to this comment Post a new comment
 
meredith P. said...
Apr. 11, 2009 at 10:41 pm:
i had a similair experience like this.but mine was with a grape.great job!!glad ur ok.
 
Reply to this comment Post a new comment
 
gracie94 said...
Apr. 11, 2009 at 5:21 pm:
i liked it...i felt as if i was there...good work.
 
Reply to this comment Post a new comment
 
Site Feedback