My Struggle with Bulimia This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Being supervised by my 13-year-old sister is weird. It’s even weirder that she’s watching me go to the bathroom. Well, okay, she’s actually just waiting outside the stall. But I knew she would follow me, I knew she would wash her hands, and I knew she would linger. When I open the door, she’s just standing there casually. “What are you doing?” I ask, even though I know.

“Just waiting for you.”

“Oh, okay.” And I’m not supposed to be mad, even though the situation is awkward and I can’t get any privacy when I’m using the bathroom. Of course, this only happens when I go after lunch.

Rewind to late May: I’m so near death that I can brush it with my eyelashes. My boyfriend, Jon, and I are competing to lose weight and I can’t shake off his saying, “It’s okay if you don’t lose as much weight as me, Lindsay. After all, I’m a guy.” I don’t like losing anything except weight, 20 pounds of which disappears in a month and a half. But 10 pounds is all it took for me to forget about beating Jon and winning the $200 bet.

Hey, I look good; I look damn good. I should keep this up. I’m convinced, though, that it isn’t enough to just keep exercising and scraping by on water, hard-boiled egg whites, and salad (which is actually just lettuce and tomatoes – no dressing, croutons, or even corn because of the carbs). If I want to be tinier with every glance in the mirror, I’ll need a better strategy. So I become a double-barreled bulimic; I’m the purging type and the non-purging type. Purging is just a nicer way of saying “self-induced vomiting.” It isn’t pleasant but people are convinced that I eat. Non-purging, also called exercise bulimia, is when I sweat off what little I’ve eaten and more. One website calls it “secretly vomiting,” but I think of it as added insurance.

I recommend bulimia for anyone self-deluded enough to ignore feeling terrible all the time: “This bottle of aspirin must be full of placebos because my headaches won’t go away. The doctor is insane; I’m not running too much, and my knee and hip pains can’t be early signs of arthritis. My esophagus isn’t corroded. My voice isn’t raspy. I can keep getting away with this. It’ll be worth it. I feel fine. I’m not bulimic.”

Then I’m wailing my confession to Jon about having bulimia and how much work it is to hide and how scared I am about not getting my period this month, and I hate myself for developing bulimia in the first place, and I’m sorry but I need to back out of our competition. He says that’s fine. We’ll fix it together. Plus, he misses pizza.

For the next month, I eat only with Jon so he can be sure I relearn to eat healthfully. At first I feel like a criminal exercising only once a day and eating food I can taste, but my complaints are short-lived.

It’s the end of July and I’m driving with my friend Kelli. She knows I helped stuff that guy’s mailbox with defective donuts from the Krispy Kreme dumpster. I’m the only person she told when she backed into a car. Secrets are only fun if you have a best friend to share them with.

There’s a lull in the conversation before she says, “You never told me who won that thing between you and Jon.”

The saltiness of my fingertips floods my tongue and tickles my throat. “I called it off.”

“Really? Why?”

Lie, don’t lie, lie, don’t lie, lie, don’t lie, lie, don’t lie, don’t lie. Why would you lie to your best friend? “Because I became bulimic.”

“Oh, Lindsay.” She turns her head from the road and looks at me. I’ve never heard Kelli say my name in that disappointed tone before.

“I’m okay now. Really. Jon and I worked through it and I’m fine.”

“Do you mean that?”

“Yes.”

“Okay. I believe you.” Good. There are times when you should be honest. This wasn’t one of them.

Kelli comes by the next afternoon. She starts sobbing when she sees me. She says that she cried all day yesterday while researching bulimia and calling eating disorder hotlines. She doesn’t understand why I have a negative body image. She insists that I don’t need to lose weight. She is scared for me.

Didn’t I tell her that I was fine? Why didn’t she believe me?

“Lindsay, you have to tell your parents.”

WHAT? “What? Why?! It isn’t a problem anymore. I don’t want them to worry over something that’s in the past.”

“I know, but they need to know.”

“No. No, they don’t, actually.”

“Lindsay, if you don’t tell them, I will. If something happens to you and they find out I knew, I won’t be able to live with that.” Since when is this about you, Kelli? “I’ll give you time to tell them. If you don’t do it within that time frame, I’ll tell them. But, I’ll warn you before I do it.”

You’ll warn me? Are you trying to strike a deal with me? I knew I should have lied.

“I’m doing this for your own good, Lindsay. You’re my best friend and I care about you.” I don’t feel myself hug her back. If you really cared, you’d let it go.

Kelli never brings up the subject again. I forget about this incident and figure she has too. The “your time is up so I’m telling on you” ultimatum disintegrates into an empty threat. I go back to school in September and don’t come home until October ends. I lost a few pounds by eating healthier and my family is happy for me. On the way to the airport, my dad says, “You look great, honey, really, you do. This probably isn’t the best time to bring it up … but you didn’t lose weight by being bulimic, did you?”

Oh my God. “She TOLD you?!”

“Lindsay, don’t be mad. She was really scared to tell.”

I’m not mad at Kelli, I’m furious. “When?”

“Right before you guys left for school. She called and said she had something important to tell us. Your mom and I went to her house. She was sitting in the living room with her parents and crying because she wasn’t sure if she was doing the right thing. She didn’t want to lose your friendship.”

I’m thankful when they let me walk through security with sunglasses on. I’m not looking forward to Thanksgiving anymore.

*
*
*

My parents have argued in the garage for years because they don’t think my sister and I can hear them in there. They forget that my bedroom is directly above the garage.

“It’s your fault Lindsay turned bulimic! You always pushed her too hard! It didn’t matter if she was valedictorian or tennis team captain or a concert pianist, she was never good enough for you.” “At least I wasn’t babying her all the time! I just wanted my daughter to grow up strong. It was your coddling that made her cave in like that!”

*
*
*

Even though I’m finished with bulimia, it isn’t finished with me. A common side effect is gastroesophageal reflux, where my gag reflex fires involuntarily and my stomach contents come up. This looks incredibly suspicious to people who know I have a history with bulimia.

I’m looking at Christmas ornaments with my dad and sister a few days later. I can’t decide if this one is a gingerbread man or a really tan starfish when my stomach tightens. This is the worst, because my stomach is empty of anything except acid. I imagine this is what it would be like to iron the inside of my throat with a pair of flaming soccer cleats.

I’m bent over like I’m trying to cough my throat out onto the floor (which I wouldn’t have minded) as the scorching gets worse. I’m pretty sure everyone in the store is staring so I scramble outside. I’m trying to calm down by taking deep breaths but the frozen air ironically makes the burning worse, so I attempt to casually stroll into a nearby restaurant and ask in a horribly raw voice for a glass of water. The girl smiles because she thinks I’m a chain smoker and fills a cup and I thank her while trying to control myself because I’d gladly drink all 32 ounces in one gulp. My throat cools but is still itchy.

My dad and sister are asking what happened and I say I coughed up acid, so we get ice cream to neutralize it. I claw maniacally at a frozen cylinder of Phish Food with a flimsy plastic spork the whole way home, where I finally microwave the block into submission. I’m halfway done when my stomach protests the unexpected influx of food by sending the ice cream back up (at least it doesn’t burn) and I’m running again, this time to the nearest toilet.

Winter break becomes a laborious game of avoiding anything that could make me look like I’m still bulimic. I don’t eat too much because I’ll vomit. I don’t eat too little because I’ll seem anorexic. I’m afraid of soda because burping can trigger refluxes. I snack on Tums between meals. My workouts are light so I won’t lose weight. You’d think even if my parents didn’t know I used to be bulimic, they would still be suspicious.

Kelli and I exchange Christmas gifts one night. I haven’t told her I know she snitched on me, but she probably has figured it out since I’ve barely spoken to her for the past two months. As she turns to leave, she asks, “Are we okay?”

No. “Yeah.” I want to tell her I’ve lost my parents’ trust, that she’s lost mine. That I will never believe anything she says again.

*
*
*

I’m more frustrated than grateful that everyone is too concerned to trust me. I ask my dad why no one believes me when I say I’m not bulimic. He says they do – they’re just making sure I’m okay. So no one believes me.

Annabelle7614 said...
I like how this article is written because it isn't the classic "I was bulimic then I wasn't and now all is good". It is very truthful and inspiring, and I hope you feel better soon, but I'm sure you hear that enough from your parents, so let me make it special. In all my years, I have never heard a more personal and detailed essay and I think you should send it in to chicken soup for the soul. I feel like I know you personally now and I really hope this horrid condition... (more »)

writer24/7/365 replied...
Sept. 14, 2009 at 6:17 pm :
yeah. you're very right. most people think, 'i'm so sorry that happened! but it's all better now! so let's move on and not think about it!' but that's not how it reakky works.

writer24/7/365 replied...
Sept. 14, 2009 at 7:20 pm :
oops i meant really

Kit-Kat said...
I really enjoyed that this was such a truthful artical, and I love your writing voice- it is very natural sounding and almost conversational :) good work!!!!

Sunshineyday said...
Sept. 14, 2009 at 9:55 am:
excellent work!

writer24/7/365 said...
Sept. 14, 2009 at 7:07 am:
this is really good. i've felt like you before, but i knew parents would kill me if i became bulimic or anorexic.

practicerandomkindness said...
May 30, 2009 at 3:47 am:
Very well written. I agrre, your friend was only doing it for your own good. This article has probably heloed a lot of people, and has made me never want an eatind disorder.

Joyfulnoise13 said...
May 23, 2009 at 1:55 am:
Great article! I have Female Athlete Triad, and it was very encouraging to know there's someone else that knows what I'm dealing with.

Courtney.Firestone said...
Apr. 21, 2009 at 2:46 am:
What really strikes me is the number of people who are coming out and commenting, "I'm bulemic too". Although I can't say my life has been touched by something like this, I see the inspiration you are to so many, and that in turn inspires me.

Woderful writing! Good job!

recovering said...
yeah i was the vomit type of bulimia excpet i used laxatives i still strugle not to reach in the cabnit and get them back out i am glad you have gotten this far maybe one day all "former" bulimics can have the strentgh to say no i will not do that everyone should read this piece best i've ever read

runnigwiththevampires said...
this is a story that is a lesson.im sorry you had to experenice this but it makes me never want an eating disorder. so in a way thank you.

Runswithwolves said...
I know how you feel, and then again I don't. I have made myself puke before because I feel like I ate to much, or because I ate something I shouldn't, but I try no to do that since I know how bad it is. For you to write this for everyone is inspirational. You didn't make it seem like it was easy, you gave us the truth of what you felt without holding back. Even though you feel like you have no one else to look to, remember you always have your self, because in the ends that's all... (more »)

ellen said...
Jan. 13, 2009 at 4:52 am:
I have that acid reflex to, but i didn't get it from being bulimic, i got it from being anorexic, but i throw up, or am able to throw up any thing i eat just because of my reflexes.

Moonglowsinsky :) said...
I can understand where you're coming from. I had the same disorder, and while I don't engage in that behavior anymore, it stillis a probl;em and I'm glad you are able to speak out about it. Its seen as the family secret and embarrassment by those who help instill( sp?) it in our lives, ironic? Anyways, best of luckn and I hope you continue to work hard to fight it!

rayzay123 said...
I do believe you. You may not believe me when i say that but having a sibling with an eating disorder makes you unabe not to belive. I can't live you life for you but please for your friends sake, i know it might feel like she betrayed you. Just try and realise a few things
1, she did warn you
2, even tho it dosn't seem like it she did it 4 ur own health
But i don't think what your doing to your friend is horrible. It's natural. And I don't think it's right but i'm hoping some... (more »)

sunnysall said...
thats a horrible thing your doing to your friend she told because she cares about u but that was well written ... great job

watchout behind you replied...
Mar. 23, 2010 at 10:15 pm :
um.. she was done with her problem, her and her boyfriend worked it out together. you get over the uncontroling vomiting, i have experienced this problem that she had. but sence it was all over with, totally worked out and gone her friend goes and tell anyway?? she should of respected her friends word because now know one trusts her to even go to the bathroom, now how would that make you feel when you knew you wernt sick anymore?

VanishingEntity replied...
Jun. 7, 2010 at 12:58 pm :
Problems like bulimia can come back very quickly and easily. It's surprising how hard it can be to give up something that's so horrible and destructive. I think that her friend did the right thing by telling her parents. That way, people can look out for her.

Bright Blonde said...
Great story! Well written, interesting and something I'll always remember. Fabulous!!!!

Pinecone said...
wow... i would be really stuck if I was your friend... but really good job!