Swine Flu Outbreak | Teen Ink

Swine Flu Outbreak

By Ryan Thomson SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin
Ryan Thomson SILVER, Nashotah, Wisconsin

H1N1 was first detected in the United States in April 2009 and is causing concern. The virus is also referred to as swine flu. It is being called swine flu due to the fact that two genes found in the virus are also found in pigs in Europe and Asia, bird genes, and human genes but not found in North American pigs. Scientists call this a quadruple reassortant virus.

Common symptoms of the H1N1 include fever, coughing, sore throat, a runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headaches, chills, and fatigue. Cases of the illness have been from mild to severe and deaths have occurred in the United States. While some people with the virus have recovered without medical help, it is recommended that anyone with flu-like symptoms sees a doctor.

The swine flu is spread like any other flu virus and is highly contagious. Like most flu viruses, the swine flu is spread through coughing or sneezing or direct contact with an infected individual after they have touched their eyes, nose, or mouth.

Since the swine flu is contagious and the symptoms are common for other milder viruses as well, the high school has taken steps to insure the safety and well-being of the student body, staff, and administration.

Personnel have placed Purell hand sanitizer dispensers on walls throughout the school making life easier and healthier for everyone. Students can now disinfect their hands and prevent spreading germs without having to go into the bathroom to wash their hands with soap and water. Teachers have also put hand sanitizer dispensers in their room so students can prevent the spreading of germs without having to disrupt class by leaving to use the restroom making school cleaner for everyone.

I know someone who had swine flu.