Stress Management | Teen Ink

Stress Management

November 25, 2009
By Anonymous

Teenagers lead hectic lives while spending 15 to 16 hours of the day without a minute of respite. In order to thwart the modern “mental breakdown,” as teens like to call it, planning is needed. The thoughts that reverberate in their heads need to be organized and thought out. “I’ll finish that later, I promise,” is a common phrase. But at the end of the day when dinner is put away and the dishes are washed, relaxation is what we want, not homework. Planning a time of the day to sit down and finish your homework or chores will help you use the time given, more efficiently.

Remember friends and family are there to help out. A simple question is all it takes: “will you help me?” Although you may have succumbed to the feeling that you are alone on a remote island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean (or another place of choose), you are not alone.

The average teenager is fretful. Spending time waiting in line can feel like hours. A factor could be lack of sleep. Waking up in the morning can feel excruciating. Whether it be the time they arrived home from work or the away varsity game, teenagers average on six or seven hours of sleep per night.

Try to set realistic goals for yourself. Don’t expect to accomplish something on your first attempt. Setting goals can assist in making tasks more manageable. Expectations students set for them self are unrealistic. Lower your expectations.

School is not the harbinger of death. A student’s unwillingness/laziness to finish homework or study is what corrupts the scores and upsets parents. Don’t expect your grades to be straight A’s if you don’t try. Those who try, succeed.

The malignant self doubt or lack of confidence can add stress to your life. Learn who you truly are and accept it. There are people who will like you for who you are. Not just your family members.

Music has become a common relaxation device. Example: the iPod. Being able to carry around small devices can help you relax in any setting. Block out the noise and commotion around you.

Remember that you are who you made yourself to be. No one can change that.