UN Disease | Teen Ink

UN Disease

Article 55 of the United Nations (UN) Charter advises the World Health Organization (WHO) to discuss and consider principles for diseases and overall health of all nations. Disease has been a large part of economic progression and evolution by means of disease such as the Bubonic Plague all the way down to small pox. Although, minor climate changes such as giving food aid to the areas with such diseases, deterring transmission of said diseases, and establishing many programs to oversee these diseases, the globe is still in danger of having more and more casualties to these dreaded diseases. Despite small efforts to weaken these diseases, the epidemics continue to grow, while our programs are doing very little to actually stop these diseases from occurring. In 2005, the number of those infected had grown to more than 40 million, double the number in 1995. Previous success stories in Thailand and Uganda show potential to weaken as prevention programs have become less diligent. Because of these growing pandemics, we need to find better ways to deter the spreading of such deadly diseases, such as better supervision of where our money goes. Already, we have programs that reduce HIV infections from fatal to a manageable condition and programs to fund research globally, but this is not enough.

The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan has successfully placed programs such as Directly Observed Treatment, Short-course (DOTS) aiding the prevention of tuberculosis cases, by giving a treatment to victims directly. In addition, they implemented programs to fund insecticides to those in need of them according to household, and they have signed contracts aiding them in preventing outbursts of diseases. Moreover, they have successfully created a program that puts doctors along with hospitals in places where they are needed, therefore reducing the number of cases. Afghanistan has also worked vigorously toward creating various areas of which doctors and nurses can be trained specifically for aiding patients infected with diseases such as HIV/AIDS, Malaria and Tuberculosis.

Afghanistan has ensured aid in the development of a five year program assisting HIV and AIDS patients, along with establishing priority for those in need and supplying sufficient proportions of food to areas of infection. Additionally, they have instilled programs to ensure the reduction of cases containing said diseases. Afghanistan looks forward to the engagement of other countries in regards to establishing further technological advancements to procure sufficient cures toward said diseases. In conjunction with these programs, Afghanistan looks to more programs that could potentially reduce the infection rate of said diseases. Afghanistan hopes to create programs that will sufficiently reduce cases of HIV/AIDS, Malaria, and Tuberculosis.