How Schools Deal With Children With Angleman Syndrome | Teen Ink

How Schools Deal With Children With Angleman Syndrome

October 22, 2009
By taylor9230 BRONZE, Troy, New York
taylor9230 BRONZE, Troy, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Angelman syndrome is a neuro-genetic disorder that occurs in 1 in 15,000 live births. Some features of this syndrome include developmental delay, intellectual disability, severe speech impairment, and problems with movement and balance making it hard for these children to get the right education..
Children with Angelman syndrome typically have a happy, excitable demeanor with a lot of smiling, laughter, and hand-flapping movements that may be a distraction during class. Some tips for teachers who are teaching children with angelman syndrome are to be very patient with the students and not to think that they are being disrespectful when they smile and laugh during inappropriate.

Mr. Vogt a English teacher from Roslyn High School commented on the issue. He feels angelman syndrome is a terrible thing to have to go through. He doesn’t think that they should be in main stream classrooms because they will easily get distracted and won’t get the education they need. He feels that you can’t really give them any words of hope but just be extremely patient and provide them with lots of love.
Although they have a disability some people such as teachers feel that they should receive the same disciplinary actions as normal students. Teachers will really have their work cut out for them dealing with these kids and all of there special needs. Some parents feel that they know their child better than any teacher so they tend to tell the teachers how to do their jobs and they make a lot of suggestions. Some teachers get frustrated with the parents while others take the parents suggestions into mind.