Nearly 18

By , Millington, TN
At 17,going on 18, I have had a complicated life to say the least. I was born 4 months early and was very ill. I lost my hearing at age 9 due to an MD's mistake.After that it was surgery after surgery.My father has never been involved in my life. I believed in fairy tales once like any other young girl.I did in fact gain a stepfather. When I was 12 my mother was diagnosed with cancer.When I was 15, I began cutting myself.I was placed in a psychiatric hospital for 5 days. However,cutting is an addiction. I am 17 and have had 17 surgeries. i don't feel 17.My dream is to graduate high school and be a social worker so I can help people.My friends all go to movies and on dates and such, I have done those,but I feel as though I am not a typical teenager.a normal teen would want a night away from parents, I enjoy spending time with them.My commitment to my family is higher than winning prom queen or something.

Mikky-girl said...
thank God im not the only one!!!!!!!!!

E.L.W. said...
Wow, you've had some hard life experiences. Its really wonderful that after going through something like cutting, you want to dedicate your life to helping others go through similar situations.
However, work on the writing and punctuation a little bit. Tell more about your life and experiences that stand out. Don't just tell, show and let the reader know what it felt like.
And a space should be after every period and comma.
Great work!

K.M.Simpson said...
please comments,questions,opinions,criticism,
anything.

K.M.Simpson replied...
Nov. 10, 2009 at 7:48 pm :
please review

Shweta K. said...
Sept. 19, 2009 at 2:40 am:
Hey just read your story... I'm almost 18 too, and I had a similar start to life, and I've had no father, but no stepfather or real male influence on me. I definitely empathise with you and I love how you aren't going down the same path as other teenagers. It's nice to spend time with family, though not my favourite thing to do, but I don't really need to be with my friends 24/7... while it's sad you've turned to cutting, at least you plan on doing something gr... (more »)

BellaLuna said...
Sept. 3, 2009 at 10:29 am:
nice work. very sad and its normal to spend time with parents LOL! i think it is......

K.M.Simpson said...
please review constructive or otherwise. thanks ,km.tell me what you'd like me to write next!