Over Riding Obstacles | Teen Ink

Over Riding Obstacles

By ♥kee BRONZE, Snoqualmie, Washington
♥kee BRONZE, Snoqualmie, Washington

Life is full of happiness, greatness, and open door opportunities, obstacles rarely mentioned. Everyone has their own story, underneath thick coats of pure happiness. One that especially stands out to me .It started back in 5th grade, when my mother was disguised with cancer, a brain tumor to be exact. Doctors said it was growing inside of her. No one knew, until that day.

Everyone thought it was a typical middle of the year, school day. Nothing more nothing less. Did my usual morning rituals, took a quick bite of breakfast and was off to school in a heart beat. The school bell rang. We went to our classes. I hung my backpack, got my supplies and sat down in the newly bought seats as usual, and chatted amongst my peers.

That night my mom and dad didn’t come home until breaking dawn. It was late when they finally arrived. My mom and dad’s eyes were cherry red; I could tell that they’ve been crying. I asked them where they’ve been and they said just the hospital. My dad had a few weird looking things in his hands. I figured they were just a few pictures, but in reality they were x-rays. Sitting on the stairs waiting for a real answer, I heard my dad talking to my grandpa on the phone. He said my mom had a brain tumor and it was the size of a thumb nail. If it continued to spread vastly my mother could possibly die, my dad cracked. I couldn’t bear seeing my dad cry. Running to my room, I slammed the door and locked it shut. My heart dropped. Hot tears started streaming down my face. I laid there uselessly sobbing for days.

My mom figured something was up. We asked her what’s wrong as she was busy bawling. Man, it hurt see my mother cry. She managed to mumble… I might not be your mom for much longer. My dad finally confessed the situation to us. We all didn’t know what to do so we cried. That night I cried myself to sleep. Before I fell asleep I did something I hadn’t done in a long time. I prayed.

Weeks passed; my mothers operation was scheduled. It felt like my mother’s life was hanging on a thin piece of thread, and I was scared. I wasn’t scared that she was going to do the operation it was the fact that I was going to see one of the most important people in my life in vain. In a blink of an eye, the day finally had come. Mamma cooked breakfast as usual and kissed us all good-bye. Mamma said that she would be home, but I knew deep inside that it was a lie. So that whole day I thought to myself why me? Why mom?

Two days passed. The feeling of home didn’t feel like home without my mother’s presence. Mamma made it. That night dad took our family to the hospital. I could see pain in Mom’s eyes but she faked a smile. I saw purplish bruises and stitches on her body. I couldn’t stay in there much longer, so stepped out, to take a few deep breaths. Mamma was finally released after a week in the hospital.

Today my mamma is recovering living a healthy life with us. My prayers had been answered. I’ve not taken this experience for granted because it’s taught me to be a stronger person. An obstacle like shouldn’t be forgotten because life is full of the unexpected.