Ten Steps to Eliminate Stress | Teen Ink

Ten Steps to Eliminate Stress

Freshmen. Your probably think youre going to rule the school now just because you have entered
high school. Well guess what, you're not. The sophomores are going to try to walk all over you.
It's not that we have anything against you, it's just how high school works; we were all
freshmen at one point and in the years to come, you'll do the same.

Frosh seem to have no sense of hallway etiquette. You kids are ubiquitous during respite times
between classes. Everywhere you look there is a group of you standing around and taking up the
hallway. If you are going to hog the hallway, do it in a remote area and not in the middle of an
intersection. It really thwarts the sophomores from getting anywhere.

Entering high school is going to put a damper on your home life; prepare for homework. Allow ample
time to finish and plan your night around doing your homework. At the start of the school year, the
load seems light; but just wait, it will get worse. Your freshmen year is just a harbinger of what
is to come in future years.

Sporting events. Our teams are some of the best in the state, and you should come to watch the game.
Instead, you are probably going to stand outside the stands and converse with each other. Get in the
stands, watch the game, and support your team.

Girls, if you're getting up two hours before school starts just to get ready; you're nuts. Deep
down, no one really cares what you look like. You're not going to school to walk the runway,
you're going to learn.

If you have a class up at north campus, don't be too fretful. The upperclassmen are only a couple
years older than you, and most of them will probably be friendly. They have grown out of their
"I'm so cool because I'm in high school" stage.

Relationships. Don't think the person you're with is going to be the one. You're 14 and 15,
and you probably don't even know what love means yet. When you break up with your "oh so loved
one"you will probably be in excruciating pain, but don't worry, you'll get over it. There are
plenty of other fish in the sea.

PDA. It's not necessary to give a little love for a break of forty minutes. Wait until after
school. If you can't handle a day without seeing your sweetie; you're not going to be able to
handle marriage. Be yourself. If people don't like you the way you are, then so be it. Don't
succumb to others and change yourself just to have friends. You'll meet many new people and see
that maybe you aren't so weird after all.

The opposite sex isn't as gross or annoying as you think they are. Just get to know them; you'll
probably make some great friends.

Reflecting back on my time as a freshman, sometimes I wish I had done things different. But it is
an experience everyone should go through. Its just life. So learn to deal with it.