Common Dental Myths Debunked: What You Thought You Knew About Teeth | Teen Ink

Common Dental Myths Debunked: What You Thought You Knew About Teeth

September 15, 2023
By Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
Sadeel DIAMOND, Dayton, New Jersey
50 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Embrace the quirks that make you beautifully unique, for they are the colors that paint the masterpiece of your soul


We've all grown up hearing various advice about oral health, often passed down from generation to generation. While some of this guidance is indeed helpful, others are steeped in misconceptions. One of the most enduring myths is that "sugar causes cavities." In this article, we will debunk this and other common dental myths by providing evidence-based information to help you make informed decisions about your oral health.

Myth #1: Sugar Is the Sole Cause of Cavities

Evidence:

The belief that sugar is the primary cause of cavities is a common misconception. While sugar does play a role, it's not the only factor to consider. Research has shown that it's not just the quantity of sugar that matters but also the frequency and duration of exposure to sugars. Studies published in "Caries Research" have demonstrated that frequent and prolonged exposure to sugary foods and beverages can contribute significantly to cavity formation. The reason behind this lies in the interaction between sugar and oral bacteria, which produce acid that can erode tooth enamel. However, it's not limited to sugar alone; starchy foods like bread and chips can break down into sugars in the mouth, providing a continuous food source for these bacteria.

Myth #2: Chewing Gum Is Bad for Your Teeth

Evidence:

Contrary to the belief that chewing gum harms teeth, scientific evidence suggests that sugar-free gum can actually benefit your oral health. When you chew sugar-free gum, it stimulates saliva production, as noted by the American Dental Association (ADA). Saliva plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy oral environment by neutralizing acids, cleansing the mouth, and aiding in the remineralization of tooth enamel. Numerous clinical studies reviewed in the "Journal of Dental Research" support the idea that chewing sugar-free gum can help reduce the risk of cavities by promoting saliva flow. Some studies even indicate that gum containing xylitol, a natural sugar substitute, can be particularly effective in cavity prevention.

Myth #3: Whiter Teeth Are Healthier Teeth

Evidence:

The notion that whiter teeth are healthier teeth is a common misconception. Tooth color can naturally vary based on factors such as genetics and age, and not everyone's teeth are naturally white. What truly matters when evaluating oral health are factors like the absence of decay, gum health, and the strength of tooth enamel. A study published in the "Journal of the American Dental Association" reinforces the idea that tooth color alone should not be considered a reliable indicator of dental health.

Myth #4: Baby Teeth Don't Matter

Evidence:

It's a misconception that baby teeth, also known as primary teeth, don't matter since they eventually fall out. In reality, they serve essential functions in a child's oral and overall health. Baby teeth aid in speech development by helping children learn to pronounce words correctly, as emphasized by the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. They also play a crucial role in nutrition by enabling proper chewing, which aids in the digestion of food. Furthermore, baby teeth act as placeholders for permanent teeth. Premature loss or decay of baby teeth can lead to misalignment issues when permanent teeth emerge, potentially necessitating orthodontic treatment.

Works Cited 

"Caries Research." "Diet and Dental Caries: The Pivotal Role of Free Sugars Reemphasized." 2016, 50(1), 9-12.
American Dental Association (ADA). "Chewing Gum and Your Teeth." Link
"Journal of Dental Research." "The Use of Sugar-free Chewing Gum in Dental Practice." 2013, 92(7), 589-593.
"Journal of the American Dental Association." "Tooth Color: Association with Age, Gender, and Penetrability." 2012, 143(11), 1257-1263.
American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry. "Oral Health Policies & Recommendations (The Reference Manual of Pediatric Dentistry)." 2021, 43(6), 164-179.