The Burden of Perfection | Teen Ink

The Burden of Perfection

July 19, 2023
By Leo-Yang GOLD, Nanjing, Other
Leo-Yang GOLD, Nanjing, Other
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

As a high school student, I find great joy in crafting plans and setting ambitious goals for myself. The thrill of envisioning a perfect outcome excites me and drives me to work diligently toward achieving my dreams. However, this insistence on perfection has its challenges, often leaving me feeling overwhelmed and even depressed when things don't go as planned. While I recognize the importance of embracing imperfection, I am still learning to navigate the emotional toll that perfectionism can take on me.
I take pleasure in making elaborate plans, whether it's organizing a surprise party for a friend or aiming for top grades in all my classes. The process of visualizing my goals and meticulously crafting strategies to achieve them fills me with a sense of purpose and excitement. My determination to ensure that everything is perfectly organized and executed becomes a driving force in my life.
The burden of wanting everything to go as planned can become overwhelming at times. When reality doesn't align with my picture-perfect vision, I often feel immense pressure to live up to my high expectations. The fear of failure and disappointment looms large, leaving me feeling anxious and disheartened when things don't turn out as intended.
Despite recognizing the significance of embracing imperfection, it remains a challenge for me to fully internalize this concept. I tend to view mistakes and setbacks as personal failures, which further intensifies my perfectionistic tendencies. Coping with imperfections, whether it's receiving a grade that falls short of my expectations or facing unexpected obstacles, can be emotionally draining and challenging to manage.
One example that stands out is when I planned a surprise outdoor birthday party for my mother. I meticulously arranged the venue, decorations, and entertainment, envisioning a beautiful day filled with laughter and joy. However, on the day of the event, the weather took an unexpected turn, with heavy rainfall and strong winds ruining the carefully prepared outdoor setting. Additionally, I overlooked some hidden fees in the contract, leading to unexpected expenses that strained my budget.
My insistence on perfection collided with the unpredictability of life, leaving me feeling devastated and overwhelmed with anger and frustration. The event that was meant to be a celebration of love turned into a source of disappointment and sadness. I found it challenging to cope with the imperfections of the situation, and it took time for me to recognize that such unforeseen circumstances were beyond my control.
As I continue on my journey, I am striving to find a healthier balance between my ambitious goals and self-compassion. I am learning to acknowledge that life is filled with uncertainties and imperfections, and it's okay to encounter setbacks along the way. Embracing imperfection doesn't mean settling for mediocrity; rather, it involves accepting that growth and learning often come from navigating challenges and overcoming obstacles.
As a high school student, my insistence on perfection and making elaborate plans has its merits, driving me to excel in various aspects of life. However, it also comes with challenges, particularly when things don't go as intended. The emotional toll of perfectionism can leave me feeling overwhelmed and disheartened. Yet, I am beginning to recognize the importance of embracing imperfection and finding a balance between striving for excellence and practicing self-compassion.
By acknowledging that life is a journey filled with ups and downs, I am gradually learning to cope with setbacks and appreciate the growth that comes from navigating through imperfections. The birthday surprise gone awry served as a poignant reminder that life's unpredictability is part of its beauty, and perfection is an unrealistic standard to maintain constantly.
As I continue on my path, I hope to develop a healthier approach to success and personal growth, one that allows room for mistakes and learning. By embracing imperfection and practicing self-compassion, I aim to discover a sense of contentment and fulfillment that extends beyond the pursuit of perfection.


The author's comments:

I am insane about making everything perfect.