How cutting out caffeine changed my life | Teen Ink

How cutting out caffeine changed my life

Yes, caffeine dependency is quietly crippling you

Caffeine has undeniably established itself as a staple in the modern American diet, with the average U.S. adult consuming 135 mg of caffeine per day (or 1.5 cups of coffee), according to Harvard’s School of Public Health.

In my experience, the 135 mg threshold is fairly accurate. A cup of coffee in the morning, an iced sweet tea in the afternoon, maybe a soda here and there. My regular consumption of tea, coffee and soda had led me to unknowingly build a high caffeine tolerance — something that, as suggested by recent scientific data, the majority of American adults are also susceptible to.

Healthline, a lead provider of health and wellness information in America, states on their page that a caffeine dependency can be developed due to the consumption of “as low as 100 mg of caffeine” in “as little as 3 days”.

As suggested by data from those 2 studies, the average American adult has a caffeine dependency. That’s shocking!

Here’s why your caffeine dependency is quietly crippling you and what you are able to do about it.

Negative effects of caffeine dependency
Caffeine is a stimulant, meaning it is a substance that increases the activity of your body’s central nervous system. That is why you feel incredibly energized when you consume caffeine — it‘s an artificial source of energy for your body.

Here’s a list of negative effects resulting from overconsumption of caffeine (via MedlinePlus):

Note: It can take as little as 30 mg of caffeine to begin to feel these effects

shakiness
insomnia
anxiety
headaches
dizziness/nausea
increased heart rate
dehydration
dependency
While effects from normal caffeine consumption don’t sound particularly menacing, caffeine dependency symptoms may raise an eyelid —

Here’s a list of negative effects resulting from caffeine dependency:

energy deficiency
sleep problems (even disruption to the body’s circadian clock)
feelings of irritability, depression, and tiredness
inability to focus
These risks should not be taken lightly; all of the effects listed could have a significant impact on your day to day life.

After hearing about all the potential consequences to regularly drinking caffeine, I began piecing together bits about my life that could be traced back to having a caffeine dependency.

I quickly became curious enough as to if caffeine was really harming me this much, so I decided to find out firsthand if I was being held back by my caffeine consumption or not.

My plan was pretty straightforward. Cut out caffeine all together and see what happens, even if I would lose a little of my morning productivity due to lack of coffee.

Benefits of being caffeine-free
Here’s a list of positive effects resulting from not consuming caffeine (via Healthline):

Better sleep
Better blood pressure regulation
Healthier digestion
More balanced brain chemistry (mood)
Higher absorption of nutrients
Healthier teeth
Better aging (caffeine interferes with collagen synthesis)
Results of being caffeine-free
I went from the middle of May to the beginning of July (roughly 7 weeks) consuming almost no caffeine. I had a few exceptions, some knowingly and others unknowingly, but I feel as though I was clean enough on my provisional fast because I began to be aware of measurable results after 4 weeks.

Here are my 3 most noticeable results, ranked from most to least impactful on my life:

Sleep quality
Improved quality of sleep was the most rewarding result. I went from typically waking up 2–3 times per night to sleeping straight through until the morning. Not only that, I also became able to fall asleep almost instantly as soon as my head hit the pillow, compared to having to toss and turn for 5–10 minutes to get to sleep before going caffeine-free. Also, I consistently felt refreshed after waking up; no more morning grogginess or disdain for having to leave the comfort of my bed.
2. Improved focus

Before cutting out caffeine, I was apt to drink a tea or coffee when I needed to focus. It was not uncommon for me to rely on it before going to work, school, or having to study for a test. I believe that I had subconsciously convinced myself that I needed caffeine in order to be at my most productive. That was simply not true. After around 2–3 weeks, I found that I could work diligently without the help of caffeine. It felt freeing to be able to sit down and write or do other miscellaneous tasks using my full focus, on command.
3. Appetite regulation

A surprisingly beneficial effect I experienced was a significant improvement in control over appetite, specifically over my sugar and fat cravings. After 3–4 weeks, I simply stopped craving sweets and fatty snacks. I now find myself more than satisfied with the meals I eat throughout the day, no longer longing for snacks to “hold me over” until my next meal. I never actually needed to be held over until the next meal, I needed to fix my caffeine consumption.
How to cut out caffeine
The thought of quitting caffeine cold turkey may be intimidating at first, but it’s not as difficult as it may seem. Once you begin to go without caffeine you’ll quickly become accustomed to not having it. The first few caffeine-free days will most likely drag on, but after 3–4 days your body will begin to reset and you won’t feel any of the negative effects of your caffeine dependency.

Start by carrying a water bottle around with you at all times. Not only is drinking water healthier than any sort of caffeinated beverage, if you actively have your water bottle on you, you’ll be much more likely to opt for a drink of water instead of making an effort to get another drink.

Of course there are plenty of other healthy and delicious non-caffeinated beverages besides water. Juice, milk, and carbonated water all make for great-tasting alternatives, all of them being readily available at stores and restaurants as well.

And if you just can’t give up the taste of tea and coffee, there are decaf versions of the two which are also readily available at most places. Most decaffeinated drinks do contain 1–8 mg of caffeine, but for our goal of governing caffeine consumption, it is perfectly fine.

Final thoughts
The first thing I will say to anyone who asks me about my caffeine fast is that I wish I did it sooner. I would never have guessed that such an easy lifestyle change could bring such tremendous benefits. Although I can’t help to keep from drinking a tea or coffee on occasion, I can’t see myself going back to regularly consuming caffeine the way I was before I cut it out.

Long story short, try cutting out caffeine. It’ll change your life.

Article previously published on Medium: medium.com/@zack.humrichouse/how-cutting-out-caffeine-changed-my-life-8f99cff8d013

My name is Zack Humrichouse, I am a 17 year old high school student living in Olathe, Kansas. I'm is currently interning at Peters Writing Services, a small technical writing business, as well as managing and creating written content for my philosophy accounts on Instagram, Tik Tok and Medium.