Sucicde Kills | Teen Ink

Sucicde Kills

December 16, 2008
By Anonymous

Suicide rates differ between boys and girls. Girls think about and attempt suicide about twice as often as boys, and usually attempt suicide by overdosing on drugs or cutting themselves. Yet boys die by suicide about four times as often girls, maybe because they tend to use more lethal methods, such as firearms, hanging, or jumping in front of a train.
The reasons behind a teen's suicide or attempted suicide can be complex. Although suicide is relatively rare among children, the rate of suicides and suicide attempts increases tremendously during the teenage years.
Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-olds and most teen suicides are caused by a gun.
Josie from Millard county Sheriffs office says,” I think that suicide is the most selfish act anyone could ever do. I am strongly against suicide and don’t know how anyone could ever be so careless. The person who commits suicide is leaving everyone that cares about them behind to mourn and wonder what they did wrong.”
"Lucy" (a student) says,” I’m not against it because I’m stuck on it and kind of have that problem too. I understand it because sometimes it seems like it’s the only way out. I have friends that help me through it though and I thank them.”
Many teens in the world are going through hard times and don’t have anyone to talk to about it. With hormones to abusive parents this world can be a hard place. Many parents these days don’t understand what we are going through. Parents, you have to face that the world isn’t like it was when you were young and you need to try to understand what we are going through. We can’t just go outside with a bag full of sandwiches and leave for a day. The world isn’t as innocent as it used to be!
I have a bunch of suicidal friends and I know how draining it is to talk someone out of killing their selves but its worth it. A lot of them want to do it because of messed up love lives. Personally I think it’s dumb to kill yourself over someone being dumb. I think that if you are going to kill yourself, you had better got a good reason! If you kill yourself it’s just going to leave behind all your problems for everyone else.
Mr. Styler (principal) says,” Suicide is tragic. It’s a coward’s way out to leave their problems with everyone else. You aren’t doing anything for yourself. You’re only giving everyone else your problems. I think some people are mentally ill. I don’t condemn those people; I just wish they would have had more time to get help. I have had pretty close family members commit suicide and it hasn’t solved anything. It only caused pain for others. No one has any right to commit suicide. It’s a permanent solution to temporary problems. Any problem is temporary. There are better solutions than suicide.”
Mr. Styler has his opinions and we have ours. Some teens can’t handle the fact that the world isn’t all jolly and great so they commit suicide.
Mr R. says,” Suicide is a very damaging thing. My wife’s brother committed suicide and left behind a fifteen year old son who asked himself what he did wrong and what was wrong with him. It leaves lots of scars. I think if its that bad then they should have done something else with different methods. Its an easy way to bail out. I feel bad for the person who commits suicide because what could have been so bad for them to commit suicide. I don’t think anyone really has a right to do it because I don’t think they should do it in the first place.”
A lot of adults blame suicide on the music they listened to. That is a bunch of B.S. first of all: the music isn’t saying,” If you don’t kill yourself I will eat your teddy bear”. Parents have a hard time believing that their child had problems but it will help them get over the fact that their sweet little baby killed his or herself. Living in denial is not going to help.

For those of you that are thinking about or have attempted committing suicide, you need to talk to someone who you can trust. You need to let them try to help you. If you have a split second decision to kill yourself, STOP AND THINK about what you are about to do. Think about all the people that care about you. I know that you probably don’t think that anyone actually does care about you, but I know for a fact that SOMEONE in this world does. Even if it is someone you know that has a crush on you, THEY CARE! If you don’t have anyone to talk to, go to www.metanoia.org/suicide and read it ALL THE WAY THROUGH. When I was having a bad day, I found that website and it helped me. If that doesn’t work, then call: (800) SUICIDE or (800) 999-9999 and talk to them about what’s wrong.
For more information on suicide, you can go to a search engine and type in suicide then click on one of the links.