Body Image and Eating Disorders | Teen Ink

Body Image and Eating Disorders

By patricia-keating BRONZE, Thornwood, New York
patricia-keating BRONZE, Thornwood, New York

Body Image and Eating Disorders 

People can develop eating disorders for a multitude of reasons, with the most common being family influences, poor body image and negative self-esteem, and social media. Since eating disorders are one of the most debilitating diseases, it is integral to understand some of the main causes of eating disorders to help prevent them in the future. 

Family influences, or family involvement in one’s life, play a large role in the development of eating disorders. In some cases, people, particularly teenagers, feel that their parents are too involved in their lives, so they try to “control [their] food intake” (MentalHelp.Net, 2022). In other words, “[people] may feel so powerless to develop a separate identity from an over-involved parent that they try to exert independence and autonomy by controlling what happens to their bodies” (MentalHelp.Net, 2022). Due to the lack-of-control sensation that many people face, they control their food intake, which can then lead to the development of eating disorders like anorexia and binge eating. Likewise, families can also create a series of unattainable goals that emphasize being thin in order to be beautiful (Mental Help.Net, 2022). As a result, “[people] may turn to something that seems more easily controlled and at which they may be more successful, such as food restriction or weight loss” (MentalHelp.Net, 2022). Clearly, the pressure of living up to their parents expectations can lead to the development of eating disorders. Undoubtedly, families play an extremely powerful role in one’s life, and their involvement, either controlling behavior or unreasonable standards, creates a pressure that many feel can only be relieved by dieting or binging. 

Another factor in the development of eating disorders is negative self-esteem and poor body image. As Dr. Grave asserts, “low self-esteem is also a risk factor for the development of anorexia nervosa or bulimia nervosa”, due to the fact that patients “strive especially hard to control their shape, weight, and eating in an attempt to overcome their sense of worthlessness” (Grave, 2022). Notably, a low-self esteem, or a low-self respect, leads to the development of eating disorders, as patients feel that they do not deserve to eat (anorexia & bulimia), or that they do not believe that they should take care of themselves and respect themselves (binge eating). Moreover, many people with low-self esteem “equate their worth with their weight, [clothing] size, or shape” (Smith, 2000). Thus, if they are not pleased with their appearance, they can develop eating disorders like anorexia, caused by trying extreme dieting; bulimia, by binging and purging; or binge eating, caused by a series of restricting and then intense hunger. Hence, a low self-esteem and a negative correlation to self-worth can lead to the development of eating disorders. 

Finally, another severe and potent cause of eating disorders is social media. The media often has a negative effect on people, leading to the development of eating disorders like anorexia, bulimia, and binge eating disorder. Over time, the body ideals for men and women have shifted drastically, becoming more muscular and thinner (Morris & Katzman, 2003), while also becoming more outrageous. Morris and Katzman assert that these new standards make adolescents “preoccupied with their bodies and dissatisfied with their body image, … willing to try a variety of dangerous weight-loss practices in their quest for the perfect body” (Morris & Katzman, 2003). Clearly, the unreasonable emphasis the media places on the body creates an atmosphere that praises trying extremities to improve one’s condition, contributing to the development of eating disorders. Furthermore, Morris and Katzman report that “body image was significantly more negative after viewing thin media images” (Morris & Katzman, 2003). As reported above, a negative body image can lead to the development of eating disorders in an attempt to achieve a positive body image. 

In conclusion, eating disorders can occur for many reasons, but particularly due to family influences, negative body image and poor self-esteem, and social media (and its correlation to low self-esteem). Thus, it is exceedingly important to understand these causes so that we can put a stop to eating disorders.

Works Cited

Grave, R. (2022, April 2). Low Self-Esteem and Eating Disorders | Psychology Today. Www.psychologytoday.com. psychologytoday.com/us/blog/eating-disorders-the-facts/202204/low-self-esteem-and-eating-disorders 

MentalHelp.net. (2022). Causes of Eating Disorders – Family Influences. MentalHelp. mentalhelp.net/eating-disorders/causes-and-family-influences/

Morris, A. M., & Katzman, D. K. (2003). The Impact of the Media on Eating Disorders in Children and Adolescents. Pediatrics & Child Health, 8(5), 287–289. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2792687/

Smith, M. (2000, August 18). Towards an Understanding of Self-Esteem and Eating Disorders. Center for Change. centerforchange.com/towards-understanding-self-esteem-eating-disorders/

Eating disorders, though not often considered severe by the general public, are severely detrimental to those who have them. So, it is exceedingly important to understand the causes of eating disorders in order to prevent them in the future. By reading this piece, I hope that the readers can gain an understanding of some of these causes and learn how to stop eating disorders.