St. Jude's Children's Hospital | Teen Ink

St. Jude's Children's Hospital

The bright twinkle in her small eyes, the wide smile spread across her face, there was hope. McKaylee B., the patient of the month at St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital was just 7 months old, when they found fluid on her brain, but it was so much more. When they went into surgery, a MRI revealed a brain tumor, they thought it was benign, but after a few appointments they learned that it was actually a rare and aggressive malignant tumor called anaplastic astocytoma. St. Jude’s brought McKaylee's family hope. Hope for the future of their family, their lives, and their little girl, McKaylee.

At St. Jude’s McKaylee started chemotherapy treatment immediately and it lasted for 15 months. McKaylee's family was so grateful of the support and kindness that the staff at St. Jude’s offered them. They didn’t need to worry about their girl, her care, or the cost. St. Jude’s covered it all.

Acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) is the most common form of childhood cancer. In the United States, about 3,000 children each year are found to have it, and the peak incidence occurs from 3 to 5 years of age. In 1962, a child with ALL had a survival rate of 4%, now with the help of researchers everywhere, the survival rate is up 90%. By donating just one dollar, research can be funded and can help our children survive a lot of life-threatening diseases. 85 cents out of every dollar donated to St. Jude’s Hospital goes towards researching cures for some of the most deadly types of diseases, including pediactric cancer, brain tumors, and acute lymphoblastic leukemia.

St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital is a leap in the right direction for care and help for children. Researchers work their hardest to ensure that cures can and will be found, using donations and help from all its supporters. McKaylee was helped and so are many other children, everyday, because of St. Jude’s. Research and cures are the only things holding us back from curing every sick child and human being on the planet, and with your help and support we can take steps in that direction. Thank you for your kindness, donations, and care for St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital and all of its patients in need.