Teens and the Breakfast Curse | Teen Ink

Teens and the Breakfast Curse

May 15, 2009
By Allison Umbaugh BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
Allison Umbaugh BRONZE, Bellingham, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The breakfast curse is something a lot of teens have but it’s not contagious. Teens from the ages of 12 to 18 aren’t eating breakfast because they either say they aren’t hungry, or they want to lose weight.


What teens don’t know about breakfast is that it’s the most important meal of the day. It gives you energy to go through out the day, its like plants needing the sun to make photosynthesis for food. Well our bodies need food in the morning to make the energy. Because our bodies have used up all the nutrition you ate for dinner it needs more, your stomach growls for a reason. It needs food to get you started.


You would think teens knew this but some don’t and the main reason why they skip the most important meal is because they are self conscious about they’re weight. BBC News covered a story on this issue and reported that teens who skip breakfast weigh “On average five pounds more than those who ate first thing”. I know what most of you are thinking “Well if you’re not eating food in the morning how is that possible?” The answer to that question is that because teens that skip a meal they find themselves snacking more through out the day, where as the other kids just eat the three main meals. All the studies show that teens that skip breakfast have a higher risk of becoming over weight. Even in woman it’s been found that those who skipped the BIG meal had higher cholesterol.



Its been proven and now all the statistics are on the table and the only thing left to do is eat it up and become a healthier person inside and out. So don’t just stand there grab some bowls of cereal, bagels, muffins, yogurt, oatmeal, what ever healthy meal you love in the morning and outsmart the curse before it hits you. Because there is a reason for breakfast and it’s meant to be eaten.