Schizophrenia | Teen Ink

Schizophrenia

May 24, 2020
By RoselynSanchez BRONZE, Sacramento, California
RoselynSanchez BRONZE, Sacramento, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

 I rock back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. In my room, I sit on a rocking chair made of wood. I sit on a rocking chair made of wood. The voice in my head repeating and mocking me. I watch my door slowly open. I then see two red eyes the size of golf balls. Well, at least I thought I did. I shut my eyes and open them again. My door is closed and it's been closed since I sat on this chair. This chair is made of wood. Rocking back and forth. Back and forth. I close my eyes and hear screaming. I close my eyes and hear screaming. I open my eyes and jump up. Nothing is there. It never was there and hopefully never will be there.

        I get up from off the chair and open the door. I walk down the hallway and it never ends. The hallway never ends. The hallway never ends. I hear my name being repeated. I hear it louder the more I walk. I close my eyes and open them again. It's my mom cooking dinner in the kitchen wondering if I’m ok. The hallway is short. It's always been short. It will never be that long. It never has been that long. I walked up to her nodding, not saying a word. 

           I open the door to the back yard to get some fresh air. I open the door and it turns into the night time. It turned into night time. It turned into the night time. Gunshots gunshots gunshots. Screaming screaming screaming. Growling growling growling. I fell to the ground closing my eyes screaming as loud as I possibly can. I fell to the ground closing my eyes screaming as loud as I possibly can. I fell to the ground closing my eyes, screaming as loud as I possibly can.

            I knew it would happen. I knew that it would come for me. Ever since I walked down the hallway. The hallway that was never long. The hallway that will never be that long. Ever since I went through the door. The door that never opened. The door that doesn't open. The door that doesn't stay open. Ever since I sat in the chair. That wood chair. That wood chair then went back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. I lay on the ground. Blood coming out of my mouth. Seizing on the ground. All of a sudden that voice is gone. It's not mocking me. It never was mocking me. It was never even there. Now It never will be there.


The author's comments:

People suffering from Schizophrenia every day. Voices in there head screaming yes, no, why. People with Schizophrenia could potentially harm themself or someone else. More light needs to be shed on this mental illness.