What Goes Around, Comes Around | Teen Ink

What Goes Around, Comes Around

May 13, 2009
By Madelyn Brewer BRONZE, Glenmont, Ohio
Madelyn Brewer BRONZE, Glenmont, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As I raced down the field I could see the goalie at the other end crouching like a tiger ready to pounce. The score was 3 to 4 we were down by 1. I knew that we couldn’t tie because that was as bad as losing, I wanted to win as bas as Michael Phelps on gliding through the water on the way to gold medal number 8. I passed the ball to Jess and she ran down the field. I was just ahead of her. I could taste the victory! Then, GASP! Jess fell to the ground! I ran to her but the other team snatched the ball and raced down the field. She got up and dusted her self off and we raced down the field. We were just in time for our goalie to make an amazing save and throw the ball to us. Jess got it and ran down the field. I could feel the adrenaline running through my veins. We were going to win my mind thought but my body thought differently.


Next thing I knew I was in a hospital gown. My mom rushed to me


“Sami” she said


“What Mom” I snapped back


“Where am I why am I here” I said, confused,


“Hon your at the Hospital, you had an attack because of all the running” she told me
I cursed under my breath; diabetes is the hardest thing for a teenage girl, I have type-two diabetes and sometimes I forget to eat or check my blood pressure. Had I eaten today? I fought back the urge to cry, I couldn’t remember.


I’m a soccer fanatic and collapsing on the field is my worst fear… Well WAS… I was mad at myself for not remembering to eat. Jess came later with flowers from the team and said that they had just scored when they realized I wasn’t getting up. The game ended in a tie. L Diabetes had scored again, 2-0. It always seems to be one or two steps ahead of me! I am determined to beat it, but will I ever?


I can’t stand going back to school and having people stare and pretend not to be or worse being sympathetic. But mom says I have to face school and the reality that I will never be “normal” because I have diabetes.


I went to the doctors’ and got some pills to help me. Score for me! 2-1, I’m only down by one now! I know I can win. I can’t go back to soccer for one week and that will be hard. I’m going to try to be as passionate about beating diabetes as I am about soccer. I know if I try I can beat it!

The author's comments:
I wrote this at a power of the pen meet and got best of round