My PCOS story | Teen Ink

My PCOS story

In January of 2008, I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. PCOS is disorder that causes excessive hair growth, weight gain, infertility, and ovulation problems. I had all of these symptoms, but I barely treated them until recently.

My gynecologist prescribed the birth control pill to regulate my period, but my other irritating symptoms still lingered. So, for a year, I endured the symptoms, which just made me even more upset. I don’t even know why I was so apathetic towards my treatment, but when the following January and my yearly appointment approached, I was too upset to deny my disorder any longer. My gynecologist told me the best thing I could do to relieve the symptoms of PCOS was to lose weight. Even though I had been regularly exercising and eating relatively healthy over the past few years, I could never drop the weight. I told my doctor about my fruitless efforts to lose weight and she recommended I see a nutritionist. After an emotional night of aggravation and pure frustration, I e-mailed my father’s former nutritionist to set up an appointment.

As I walked into Molly’s office in early February, I promised myself to give my best efforts to follow her advice and change my comfortable ways. We went over my daily food intake and she helped show me healthier alternatives to my current favorite foods. When I left, I felt very optimistic and I couldn’t wait to start my new lifestyle. With a diet that was limited to 1300 calories, 80 grams of carbohydrates, 35 grams of fat, and 100 grams of protein, I knew my new lifestyle was not going to be an easy one. I started my diet and within the first two weeks, I could already notice a difference. At the end of the month, I had already dropped 10 pounds and I would receive compliments about it from several people daily. A random woman that lives in my neighborhood even noticed and thoughtfully complimented me on the new weight loss. I feel like my whole body has completely changed and with 15 pounds and counting gone, I am ecstatic about my decision to see a nutritionist. I told myself that I would try my absolute hardest to lose weight and I’m so proud that I finally accomplished something that I never could.

I am so much happier and more confident now that I’ve lost this weight. My best advice to anyone suffering from PCOS would be to just give your best efforts in treating the disorder. Living a healthy lifestyle has relieved my symptoms and made me a different person physically and emotionally.

loveabledana said...
on Aug. 23 2014 at 12:38 am
Amazing. I am battling the same thing.