Teen suicede facts | Teen Ink

Teen suicede facts

April 27, 2009
By Anonymous

Suicide among teenagers continues to be a serious problem. Every year in the US thousands of teenagers commit suicide. According to aacap.com suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for 15-24 year olds. The National Instituted of Mental Health believes that as many as 25 suicides area attempted for each one that is completed. That means that for every teen suicide that you hear of, there are probably at least 25 suicide attempts made.

The reason most teenagers commit suicide is because of stress, confusion, self-doubt, pressure to succeed , divorced parents, and the #1 reason Bullying. When teens live in a divorced life the stress of your parents not living together can cause a teen to commit suicide. A perfect example example will be Eric Mohat who was only 17 years old. He endured name calling, teasing, and constant pushing and shoving in front of school officials. According to abcnews.com One bully said out lout in class “why don’t you go home and shoot your self no one will miss you” he did.

According to abcnews.com there are an estimated 160,000 kids nation wide that stay home afraid of being bullied. I believe that schools are responsible for all of these suicides. If schools had a better counseling programs and a better anti bulling program there will a fewer suicide rate. Also to pay attention to the bulling going on in the schools not just let it slide by but actually give the bullies consequences for hurting another person. Also schools need to be more open minded and admit that there is a problem.

Also the parents share the blame for the high suicide rate. They need to be more involved in their child’s live. Keep the fire arms in a gun safe and away from the hands of teens. Because according to kidshealth.org nearly 60% of all suicides in the U.S are committed with a gun.

So if you or a love one is thinking of commting suicide please call the national suicide hotline at 1-800-suicide


The author's comments:
Works Cited
“About Teen Suicide.” kidshealth.org. 14 Apr. 2009 .
JAMES, SUSAN DONALDSON. “een Commits Suicide Due to Bullying: Parents Sue School for Son’s Death.” www.abcnews.go.com. 8 Apr. 2009 .
“Teen Suicide.” www.aacap.org. May 2008. 8 Apr. 2009 .
“Teen Suicide Statistics.” www.teensuicide.us. 8 Apr. 2009 .