The Big Mac Attack!: Forces Invading America WHen Will This War End?! | Teen Ink

The Big Mac Attack!: Forces Invading America WHen Will This War End?!

April 26, 2009
By Elizabeth Lakew BRONZE, Hyattsville, Maryland
Elizabeth Lakew BRONZE, Hyattsville, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

You’re standing above a grave, name on the grave reads a child’s name about 11 yrs of age, when he/she died. This is our future America and as you can see it’s not really looking to bright at least through my eyes. Obesity is 100% preventable. But it’s growing at we numbers never seen before.

Have you ever seen an overweight/obese person coming out of a (n) McDonald’s store? I’m guessing majority of you said yes. Seeing this might make you feel, sad for the person going through this or some can find it quite funny. Making fat “yo mama” jokes to entertain your friends after seeing this ordeal. But this is anything but funny; the rate of being overweight or obese is increasing at an astonishing rate in America (not only in America but other countries too). And it’s not going to change until we start putting down the big Mac’s. McDonalds is one of the big contributors in childhood obesity with

Its bright xanthic arch; and with there idol Ronald McDonald (what child doesn’t like a friendly faced clown?).


And the huge playgrounds inside there stores (not meaning to point any fingers).

But did you know you are more vulnerable to become overweight as a child, because your choices are mostly
dependent on your parents food habits? There is a more likely chance you will
become obese/overweight if you live with some one who is either obese/overweight. Adults are influences that children look up to as

There superman or wonder woman. If they see wonder woman snaking ok a bucket of Kentucky fried chicken, don’t hesitate that the child will not join you because they will.

When I asked the question, do you believe genetics come to account with obesity or being overweight? Or is it just influence? Alex said,
“I don’t know if that’s true cause my dad is in shape, but I’m still a bit overweight. Even though, my mom is overweight. I don’t think its genes. I
Believe its more of an influence”. Experts say that “Studies indicate that certain genetic characteristics may increase an individual’s susceptibility to excess body weight. However, this genetic susceptibility may need to exist in conjunction with contributing environmental and behavioral factors”. That means that some characteristics may be forwarded to the off spring but, more research needs to be done. But they believe it’s also more of an influence.


I believe we are the influence and we need to set an example for children, our children. This is what the purpose of this article is about; and to raise awareness towards this issue. This might sound corny but yes, “children are our future” and I believe we don’t want the future to end up with adolescents having a high rate in: heart attacks, type II diabetes, and heart disease. In the long run, we will thank ourselves for making better choices for our own health.


DID YOU KNOW? :


There are approximately 554, 980 fast-food restaurants in China , and only 178, 200 in America. But China only has a 2% obesity rate.

Study found that approximately 80% of children who were overweight at aged 10–15 years were obese adults at age 25 years.




In 2000, the surgeon General declared that obesity was/has become an epidemic.

America has to get off its high horse, and finally see that this trend is not going to end until we make the decision to change it. Yes, it will take time and it will defiantly be hard. But at the end, that’s where it starts paying off. When we finally see children running down the street again as there playful laughter fills the air. That’s when it pays off. When adolescents are less at risk of have type 2 diabetes and strokes.