Got Burned | Teen Ink

Got Burned

Got Burn!

On July 31st I woke up very excited; it was going to be a great day. I got ready. Then I ate some food so I wouldn’t get hungry later. After I ate, I called my friends and they asked me to come over. I called my others friends to come pick me up and we all went over to my friend’s house. That day was the day before my birthday, so all my friends decided to have a volley ball tournament. We got ready and were going to set the net, but we noticed the grass was too long. So we all voted who was going to cut the grass and it ended up that it was me. I went to the garage and got the lawn mower. When I got the machine, I noticed that the gas was gone so I told my friends to go get gas from a gas station. After they returned with some gas, I put it in the machine, but I didn’t know that I was touching a little bit of gas on the outside of the container. After I put the gas in, they told me to go wash my hands but I said,” Who cares it will dry”. Then I accidently touched with the hands that had gas on. After I cut the grass, my friend lit a cigarette next to me and then all I remember is “Boom”! Everyone looked at me and they said,” stop drop and roll”! At that time, I didn’t know I was on fire yet until I realized it was hurting. I ran and ran around in a circle until my friends poured water on me. After that I was bleeding all over. My friends called 911and ambulance came and got me. When I arrived at the Medical Center the doctors said they didn’t have treatment for my kind of burn, so they transfered me to Milwaukee. I spent about a week and an half in the burn unit at Milwaukee. At that time I looked terrible. My face was messed up and part of my body was burned too. After I came home from the hospital, I never touched gas or things that can start a on fire again.

RenaeSadie96 DIAMOND, Haverhill, Massachusetts

"Don't waste time thinking about what could've been."

I'm so sorry.  This is awful.  I don't like fire at all, so I try to avoid it also.