Life Through a Screen | Teen Ink

Life Through a Screen

By hannahbonnette BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
hannahbonnette BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana

The phenomenon of the rise of social media has brought many good things into our lives and cultures across oceans like connecting and uniting people from all over the world, providing people with fast knowledge of political happenings and breaking news updates, and serving as an escape and outlet for many frail humans, especially teens. All of these “good things”, however, are a double-edged sword and should be viewed as such. Social media’s positive effects are brutally outnumbered by the negative like a depletion of self-confidence and cyberbullying.

Texting, snapchatting, and “DM-ing” are the primary source of communication for people in modern society, especially teens. However, these “kids these days” are the future, meaning their way will be taught to their children and onward, creating an absolute technology-centered world. Speaking from personal experience, even with some of the people I like to call my “best friends”, I talk to their “Bitmoji” or face on a screen more than I speak to the tangible them. These are idealized versions of themselves; The people they crave to be or to become one day. However, one can never truly change themselves for the better or get access to the best version of themselves when buried alive in lies and false promises. When viewing the world through a screen, it is fairly impossible to be one’s authentic self. One is going to behave in a way or strike a pose (figuratively and literally) that enables that person to be portrayed in the best, brightest light one can possibly be. It is expected of a viewer seeing pictures posted or looking at tweets written by people that seem incapable of flaw or failure to feel inadequate and desire to be someone else. What these people don’t realize is that these people they see are just like them hiding behind the facades of facetune and spellcheck. These “cool” people are only you their good side or their good days. With social media, one doesn’t see the full picture. Judging a person based on how they appear on social media is like reading a book with half of the pages sloppily torn out. One evaluates their self-worth on a number of likes or followers, and if that number happens to be less than a friend has, they are less of a person and less desirable. Teens today are a devoted slave to being liked due to the ruling scepter that is social media. It unfalteringly teaches children from a young age that “everyone has it together” but they.

Cyberbullying is another one of the many unfavorable side effects of social media. When people hear the term “cyberbullying”, they tend to think of a pack of eleven year old boys huddling over a desktop commenting on their friend’s YouTube video calling them stupid. Cyberbullying is real, happening every day despite popular belief, and extremely destructive to a person’s mental health. Cyberbullies do what they do because they think that their actions don’t have consequences. It is a way for them to get their worldly and personal frustrations out in a cowardly and impersonal way. When people are attacked through social media, a platform intendedly created to be a safe-haven, they feel biting hurt with no escape, which is why many people who are cyberbullied suffer from depression and anxiety and in severe cases turn to self-harm and suicide. People being cyberbullied feel powerless and totally dominated by a force they can’t control, like a person stranded in a desert without water. Being exposed on the internet makes a person feel like their identity is not theirs anymore; It is in the hands of a ruthless abuser. Cyberbullying feels permanent. With the mindset of a generation who grew up in the age of the internet, being cyberbullied is the most impactful and toxic form of bullying.

Some positive effects of social media are that one can communicate with people from all over the world, receive knowledge and news updates quickly, and use it as an escape from a draining, uneventful life. However, all of the reasons that place social media in a positive light are channels for reaching the dangerous shadows of the internet. Although one can communicate with all sorts of people one would not be able to otherwise, the adage “stranger danger” is a fact. Even though one can receive knowledge and news updates, people can research things like how to harm themselves for others. Despite the fact that social media can be used as an escape, it can be a lethal weapon in depleting self-confidence and social skills.

Social media, despite its good qualities, is treacherous to our society and especially to teens. People can admit that social media hurts more than it helps, but what can be done about it? After all, people’s actions and the resulting emotions from them are very difficult to change. The only fail-proof way to stop this problem would be to get rid of the internet, which is of course impossible. All one can do is to reach out for help if they are being cyberbullied or know someone who is, holding bullies accountable for the damage they cause; and most importantly, try to live in the moment and savor life without the constant reassurance from technology.