Crippling Depression | Teen Ink

Crippling Depression

By sammbarragn SILVER, Hemet, California
sammbarragn SILVER, Hemet, California

Do everything in love.

Every human who has ever walked the face of planet earth has felt emotions, ranging from happiness to anger to love. We can feel any mood at any time. Although love may be one of the most confusing feelings to many people, the most baffling is actually depression. The reason that depression brings so much uncertainty is that no one knows why we feel depression, we just simply do. People may become depressed from financial instability, broken homes, abusive relationships, deaths, or anything that causes self-doubt for long periods of time. Personally, I have never been depressed. But I come from a family where it is not rare to be depressed. Generation after generation, there seems to be a trend. My grandfather’s best friend died. She was a beautiful woman who always cared for my grandpa unconditionally. She happened to be his mother. He had seen her live a life of pain and joy. Although he knew that it was inevitable, it still painfully attacked him that she died.  He soon began to feel like the life was sucked out of him, he turned to alcohol and his empty room for comfort. Depression engulfs a person, makes them chained to their weakness, and fixated on all the negative. Suicide is never the option. But yet so many people try to take their own lives. There is a serious epidemic in America. According to statistics by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), “the national suicide rate increased by more than 25% between 1999 and 2016, and has increased by more than 30% in more than half of U.S. In 2016 alone, nearly 45,000 people took their own lives.” Those numbers speak for themselves. Suicide rates are rising and we can’t just sit around and watch. There is an answer to this serious problem. Jesus. The world is lacking love. The world is lacking the Bible. The world lacks love for Jesus. At the end of my grandfather’s depression, I was born on the exact day that my great-grandma died. He said on this day we will celebrate instead of mourn. I am an exact gift from God to help heal my grandfather.