Hashtag Misbranded | Teen Ink

Hashtag Misbranded

By Ashley-DeLeon BRONZE, Bronx, New York
Ashley-DeLeon BRONZE, Bronx, New York

Social media has phones buzzing worldwide, but is social media really “harmless?” Many companies use social media as an opportunity to pay celebrities to sponsor and advertise their products. However, sponsors are often unaware of the possible risks and results of using these products. Therefore, can these products “blindly” hurt consumers? It surely can.

Celebrities often sponsor products to increase their revenue and popularity. However, their influences can be dangerous. In 2015, Kim Kardashian promoted a drug on Instagram used to mitigate morning sickness in pregnant women—Diclegis.  This drug was not approved by the FDA and failed to include a warning label on the packaging. In an article by The Times titled, “F.D.A. Warns Company Over Kardashian Instagram Marketing,” the author, Christine Hauser, states the FDA recognized that the social media post failed to include information regarding the side effects of Diclegis. Without this social media advertisement, less people would have been exposed to Diclegis, possibly lowering the rate in which consumers were at risk.

Although this advertising incident had harmful repercussions, without the promotion of the drug, the misbranding may have not been noticed in a timely manner. In fact, Diclegis’ effect on consumers could have been more detrimental if the misbranding had remained unnoticed. Ashlie Kieler, a writer for Consumerist states the FDA claimed that Kardashian posting a link to the product’s website and Duchesnay publicating a press release simply wasn’t enough to assuage the severity of the situation. The FDA ensured that consumers were being presented with factual information regarding safety.

Still, celebrities continue to falsely advertise products. Flat Tummy Tea is another product that is popular and is misleadingly advertised by many celebrities. Many celebrities praise this tea’s weight loss effects. Madeline Berg, the writer of “Strange Brew: Reality Stars Are The Active Ingredient For Flat Tummy Tea” from Forbes states that this product is a typical diet scam. However, advertised warnings help the company avoid legal trouble. The company’s website states, “These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.” The company expresses that the FDA did not evaluate the product and the product isn’t intended to palliate diseases.

Social media’s large audience has raised questions about social media’s safety. When products like Diclegis and Flat Tummy Tea are misadvertised, consumers are put at risk. Unfortunately, there are many more dangerous products currently being misbranded. However, remaining educated about dangerous products and researching the safety of these commodities is important for consumers when health is at risk. It’s time that we say “hashtag misbranded” to misleading products and take caution when shopping on social media.