Why Should People Carpool? | Teen Ink

Why Should People Carpool?

According to statistics, the average American spends 40 hours a year stuck in traffic. If everyone carpooled once a week then they can reduce traffic by about 20%. This would make a noticeable change in our daily lives. A lot of people do not enjoy carpooling because they have to make extra stops, but there are benefits to carpooling. People should carpool more because it is good for the environment and saves money.

People should carpool more because it is good for the environment. Cars pollute the air by releasing carbon monoxide and other gases into the air that are bad for the environment. By carpooling, people can reduce the number of cars releasing gases into the air. Also, carpooling would cause people to buy less oil to fuel cars. Oil is bad for the environment because the process of drilling the oil to the moment where it reaches the gas station majorly affects the environment by polluting the air and water. Therefore, people should carpool to protect the environment from pollution caused by cars and oil.

Another reason why people should carpool more is because they can save money. When carpooling, people are actually able to spend less money because they only have to pay the gas price of one car. If each individual person was driving then it would cost a lot more money because the drivers would need to fill up on gas in each individual car. The people in the car can also decide to split the cost of gas between the driver and passengers. It also cost less money because the car will require less maintenance. Since the car will not be used as often, it will require less maintenance to fix tires and have oil changes. This makes carpooling an inexpensive way to commute. People can save money by carpooling because they only have to pay the gas price of one car and the people carpooling can split the cost of gas.

However, some people think that carpooling is an inconvenient way to travel. People believe carpooling is inconvenient because the driver has to pick up everyone from different locations which adds a little extra travel time. Carpooling is actually a convenient way to travel because the people in the carpool can alternate drivers so that they do not have to worry about the hassle of driving every day. Although it may seem that carpooling is inconvenient it is actually a convenient form of travel.

Carpooling is a great way to help the environment and save money. Carpooling helps protect the environment against pollution by decreasing the amount of carbon monoxide released into the air. It also helps people save money by splitting the cost of gas and requiring less maintenance on the car. If everyone carpooled then we would be able to spend a lot less time in traffic and have more time doing fun activities.